The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hypothetical build

ducttapeguy

Hey all. I just thought Id throw this out there to see what everyone would do. My question is what would yall do to your car if you had, say, $15,000 to spend on it. Would you pour it into the engine or drivetrain or suspension or cosmetic stuff? A combination of the four? We will also say that you have a relatively mechanically sound VR4 with no major issues. What would your goals be? Clean mostly stock DD, street beast/DD, track monster(drag or autocross)? Im just trying to get some ideas. Im gonna deploy again soon and I am thinking about just going nuts with the Galant with some of my deployment money. Im not gonna spend everything on a car. Im gonna get a good TV and save a lot, but I want my Galant to get the love she deserves. (Even though shes a bitch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif)

Hmmmm, 15 grand you say?

Evo wheels or similar, to clear 3KGT brakes, with new tires. ~$2000

Bilstien evo suspension. ~$600

Evo leather seats. ~$1200

Nice paint w/ all applicable body work, JDM bumpers (my car). ~$5000-$6000

Solid 8.5ish:1, mild cam engine build, ~$3000

One of PTE's BB turbo's with a manifold and DP to make it work. ~$3000

The joy of knowing I still need another $5000 to make it all work.
~~PRICELESS~~

turbowop

Quoting mitsuturbo:
All i have to say is

Gonna require m0ar than $15k I'm afraid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

1qkfwd

Id go through the car first and see what it really needs to bring it up to par. Then you can determine what to spend where.

4thStroke

I would first focus on making the car as mechanically sound as possible. This may require a rebuilt drivetrain and motor, depending on what your goals are. Replace as many bushings as you can while things are torn apart. Replace the swaybars. Evo suspension is nice and can be had for very cheap if you are patient.

That could eat up as much of half of what you have to play with.

524of1000

$15k? I'd get hookers and Blow, then owe some... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting mitsuturbo:
All i have to say is

Gonna require m0ar than $15k I'm afraid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

This post prompted me to calculate how much i've got dumped into 555 already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

ducttapeguy

I know its gonna take a lot of work and time and money, but I need to do this. Im tired of having half ass VR4s. I realize that its my fault for taking the cheap shortcut route. I am going to have a Galant that rivals 1051 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I dont care how long it takes or how much it costs. I do want input on specific parts and ideas that will make it unique and stronger and better in every way and I want to use custom parts made by the community.

turbowop

All I ever wanted was a good all around street car that looks good and goes fast, but in an unusual package like a GVR4. Both of those terms are relative, but I'm happy with the outcome of the car after 12 years. Reason I haven't done much new to the car in so long is because it's gotten to a point where I really just enjoy it. I'm not chasing quicker E.T.'s, not competitively racing in autocross, and not trying to win best of show at carshows. It's kind of an all around fun car that crosses over the "too loud, stiff, and vibratey" line just enough to not be annoying enough to take on trips or drive around on weekends, IMO.

Adorsey

Bushur racing or Jonny Walker shortblock.
Built head.
RRT trans.
FP HTA GT3586R BB Turbo.
Cage.
2g Big Brakes.
5 lug swap.
Eclipse gst wheels with Hoosiers
AEM EMS.
E85
Air/water setup.
Go wild!

VR_IV_MR

intercooler, coilovers, 5 lug swap, 3kgt brakes, evo rims, replica keyfobs, rainguards, floor mats, remote start/alarm, paint job, anything left into stero

Last edited by a moderator:

jcgalntvr4-244

I would rice it up ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

what mods have you done so far? hows this sound build a really nice solid STREET CAR. this way a lot of oem parts can still be used saving you cash. unless you have high millage you dont need to crack open the block or head. get a nice pump gas turbo(mitsu flange) with a fmic to match. 3" turbo back, kyb agx with lowering springs, built trans, 5 lug, upgrade brakes, bigger lighter wheels, fresh paint, and complete sound system.

Lonewolf64

I'd make my dream weekend car, but it would take more than $15k

Suspension:
Poly-bushings
Front/rear strut tower bars
JIC or Hotbits coilovers

Drivetrain:
Shep trans stg. 4 w/ quaife or kaaz LSD front and center
Evo 3 plate type rear diff in a 4 bolt pumpkin

Power:
9:1 2.0 build
FP68hta w/ FP exhaust mani heat wrapped in inconel
Kelford 272/272
Magnus' new cast intake mani
Evo springs/retainers and 3g lifters, otherwise stock head
ECMlink v3
Progressive methanol injection

Bling:
New paint
Bronze Volk TE37 in 16x8
JDM front bumper
AMG front grill
JDM CF hood
Evo leather SSL front seats

Unfortunately I don't have $15k to spend, but fortunately since I have most of the parts already I can get close to my dream setup minus some bling and performance parts (coilovers, quaife, etc.).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts