The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to remove the front and rear bumper

how do i remove the front and rear bumpers to prep them for paint? also how do i remove headlights?

mitsuturbo

Be prepared to break a few bolts when removing the bumpers. It's pretty much guaranteed that at least one will break, unless the car's been a garage baby most of it's life.

Lancer99

More. US has bumper supports and JDM does not. So not only lighter but not a pain in the butt to work around with.

turbowop

I feel the USDM bumper was just as easy to remove as the JDM unit. Heavier support structure, but same amount of bolts to remove. Four bolts behind the blinkers on the USDM, same on the JDM but behind the foggies. Then just the lower supports which are the same.

raptorWagon

It can be done in about 10-15minutes.
Remove the valence (headlight trim piece)
Unplug fog lights
unbolt horns if needed for more room
Remove the 4 bolts that hold the bumper core brackets to the rails
Remove the bumper cover corner bolts from the fender
pull everything off at once.

I didn't f*** with all the little bolts (snapped each rusted one off) that hold the cover to the bumper itself till I was ready to install the FMIC and then needed to have the bumper cut to fit the new intercooler.

Worked the easiest for me, before I got a JDM bumper.

Rear bumper? Mine didn't seem to want to come off nor did I really care at the time, because I was scrapping the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned