The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how to install an EVO steering wheel (UPDATE with pics)

381gvr4

^^^ Check G-Dubs Member's Showcase for pic with working horn....

moduleunknown

I think this was the very first thing I ever purchased for my pile of poo (GVR4). Found this plate and adapter for sale in the classifieds and jumped on it since I had an EVO wheel laying around.

Fast forward a year and some change after spending countless hours restoring my pile of poo to it's former glory ( something I can now be proud of), and here I am today, ready to install my EVO steering wheel.

For the most part, this thread covers everything except how to reinstall the center airbag/horn section of the wheel. This had me scrathing my head for a little bit until I figured it out, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else is like me and doesn't want a gaping hole in the center of their wheel.

So, it was simple really... Take the hub from the EVO wheel that needs to be removed to install the adapter plate and grant hub and simply hack off the part of the bracket the airbag/horn mounts to and bolt it back in!

Before

After

I just made a cut down the sides and cut through the two welds on the bottom with my dremel and trusty metal cut off wheel. Didn't take long at all.

...and the modified bracket back in...

VIOLA! Horn button.

Now I don't know if I can make it work yet. My car has no power at the moment and won't for a while longer. I'm just taking a break from working on the rest of the car to install my evo interior so I can JSB in style.

Brunoboy

anyone still make an adapter for the install? and did anyone get the horn to work?

curtis

I still have the jig I use to weld a 1G/VR4 hub center to the evo base. All I need is a center of the steering wheel from both the factory 1G wheel needs to be cut out just the arms I mill out everything myself then mail me the bolt in center of your evo wheel and I tig together and is perfectly centered on all 3 axis all you have to do on your end is bolt in and do some trimming of the plastic as above.

To adapt the horn to work not sure but I bet you could use the funny cable from the airbag and solder on the factory horn to that and under the wheel and base attach to the factory harness. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Here's a more detailed write up and pictures

click me

moduleunknown

Quoting brunoboy:
anyone still make an adapter for the install? and did anyone get the horn to work?

My horn works. I posted what I did above.

A little more detail... the hub adapter had the contact ring in the back and a wire lead for a horn. All I did was attach a male spade connector to that wire, then cut the connector off the horn wire on the evo wheel and attach a female spade connector, plug the two together to make the connection. Done. BEEP! BEEP!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned