The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How-to DIY mods: Front Lip, ClearCorners, JDM Bumper Install

Well the how-to section isn't recieving this so i'll move it here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Here i'll explain a few cool do-it-yourself mods that are both easy on the wallet and also fun and creative to work on.

How to make a JDM front lip:

Since a lot of members are having a hard time finding a lip for their JDM bumper locally and affordably I decided i'll spill the beans on my secret mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

First, get the garnish trim piece that fits between the bumper and the headlights. This piece is the same for all galants, GS, LS, VR4, RS, 2000GTX, etc. You can get these from your parts car, or from your local junkyard. They range from $0-$20.

Newermods3.jpg

Then trim off the tabs on the garnish where the bolts go, so it looks kind of like this. I ground off some of the surface rust in the pictured trim.
Engmods11.jpg

Then zip-tie or bolt (I used rivets) your new 'lip' to your JDM bumper. No hassle - it will fit perfectly.
Newermods25.jpg

You may decide to paint it to your choice of colour - I painted mine flat black.

RIMG0088.jpg

Done! Enjoy your favourite car with a little sportier look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

*4Grim was wondering about the sides of the lip not extending to the end of the bumper. I like it the way it is, but if you prefer to have the lip wrap all the way around the bumper you can do some fiberglassing, or add another metal piece to the side.

RIMG0087.jpg

------------------------------------------------------
How to bake the 'my-spec' all-clear JDM corner lights

*this won't work on the USDM semi-clear corners with reflectors - do not attempt.

For this you will need:
A mom who's cool with you baking car parts in the oven
JDM corner lights with amber inserts (OEM)
Non-stick cooking pan/sheet
Flathead screwdriver

1. Preheat oven to 250F (120C)

2. Preparing corner lights with amber inserts:
Remove bulb and associated heat-intolerant parts such as rubber vents, seals, etc. Destroy plastic lens-retaining clips with flathead screwdriver. Clips will prevent you from separating lens from housing. These is no way around this step. Use caution as ABS plastic becomes very brittle with age.

3. Open oven. Load corner light on cooking sheet in oven. Close oven. Cook for 6 minutes. Open oven. Flip corner light over. Cook for 5 minutes.
RIMG0150.jpg

4. Open oven. Inspect corner light. If light has turned to puddle of grey and orange goo, ability to properly follow instructions may be lacking! refer to cooking temperatures in step 1, and cooking times in step 3. If assembly is still in shape, remove from oven. Close oven.

5. Pry lens off housing. Glue will take about 270 seconds to regain viscosity at 16*C. Lens removal takes less than 30 seconds. Use caution not to force the lens open if the glue is too cold.
RIMG0148.jpg

6. Rip amber crap out with flathead. Reinstall Lens cover and press. Glue will still be soft. Secure into original position and run under cold tap water to cure glue.

7. Dry finished corner lens with towel.
RIMG0153.jpg

8. Repeat process!
RIMG0151.jpg

-----------------------------------------
How to Install a JDM Bumper

Remove your US bumper as per instructions in other threads, there are a bunch of small bolts on the bottom, and the bigger ones holding the bumper in place are accessible from behind the turn signals. When you remove the bumper cover & support (heavy), you should see something like this.

Remove the bracket in the picture by the 2 12mm bolts on the side. The bracket in my hand is US-specific, you will not be using this for the JDM bumper.

With the brackets off, you should see something like this. The red circled part is where you'dd be doing some minor modification.

The top two pictures are from a JDM car. They have an "L" bracket instead of the bigger US one that we just removed.
The bottom left pic is the JDM car with the "L" bracket removed.
The bottom right pic is the USDM car with the US bracket removed.
Notice the Location of the bracket bolt holes on both cars. They are different, but are marked on the car. The holes (marked in RED) on the US side need to be drilled out for the JDM bracket.

Here are the holes on the US car Drilled out. Left is before, right is after.

Here's the JDM bumper bracket you need for the install. You can make your own easily if you can get the measurements precise, but the OEM one is fold-gusseted for strength.

I put a 5/16 bolt and nut through the holes to secure the bracket onto the US chassis. Do the same on the other side, and now you're ready to slide the JDM bumper on.

Put all the bolts in for the JDM bumper and you're done!

Anyways i have more stuff to share but i'm tired for now.

Hope that helps though!

-Kenji

Last edited by a moderator:

Nice write up, thanks for posting it. I'll be refering to the bumper info soon.
Mike R.

gvr4737

thats a pretty crazy idea for a jdm front lip... the indent on it looks actually pretty sweet..

now a certain someone needs to re create that in Carbon Fiber and extend it all the way around... than it would be pretty amazing . i will defintly buy a c/f one

curtis

Kenji is now a senior member. Change status now.

I though every idea for these fricking cars has run across my brain. Dude I'm loving the lip spoiler I must fab one this week.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

Did you think of getting another garnish and cutting and welding the extensions on. Or just taking some flat steel and hammering it to shape then welding. Damn you now I got to run to the junkyard again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.

CP

Nice work! You're giving me more winter projects /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The lip spoiler idea is one we hadn't thought of. I guess I should also mount my front bumper properly with the JDM mounting plates (not for sale, so don't ask) I've got sitting in the garage.

Also one more winter project for me - with the front lip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CP

So how does that little piece below the grill come off the car? I started to remove one in a junkyard and then bailed because I couldn't find everywhere that it was held on. Plus the bolts up by the corner lights are a tight fit to get a wrench in there.

^there are 3 bolts (left, centre, right) on the front of the car (beside the inner side of headlights and one below the grille) and 2 on each side (one facing down and hard to get at and one on the side) for a total of 7 bolts holding it on. I'll have pics this afternoon on how to remove that thing, forgot to consider that in the how-to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

atc250r

Staff member
Great write up Kenji. FWIW I'm pretty sure the amber inserts in the single bulb JDM markers can be removed without removing the lens. You can crack the amber part with a pair of pliers through the bulb hole and it will come out. I don't know first hand since I left mine alone but a couple of other members have done it that way. Is someone gonna move this into the How-To section?

John

GVR4ZUM

"FWIW I'm pretty sure the amber inserts in the single bulb JDM markers can be removed without removing the lens. You can crack the amber part with a pair of pliers through the bulb hole and it will come out. I don't know first hand since I left mine alone but a couple of other members have done it that way."

Yup, that's exactly how I did mine. Thanks for the tip on front lip and the How to for the bumper Kenji.

mikus

I baked the corners last night successfully and noted a few things:
- The rubber surround around the lens does not have to be removed, it held up just fine to directions above. The only thing I removed was the little "vent/breather" rubber hose.

- the amber lens cylinder is held in place by a reflective/silver inside piece (it holds the cylinder down, is pressed onto the housing) I was able to pop both off by tapping the cylinder into the assembly - then work the amber loose by spinning it out of the silver piece, and press the silver piece back in place (on two plastic guides, will click in). The amber cylinder should now be totally loose inside the housing. Now you need only break the easier-to-break 2 of the four retaining clips, and when you bake it you open it up like a book and the amber cylinder falls out. It's a bit more work but better than risking cracked lens when breaking the two sturdier clips IMO.

Follow the temperature/time above, mine worked just as described. good luck!

boostx

i made mine

This is really ironic since I just bought Kenjis bumper.

I just saw this thread I was like "That looks good, I should make mine look like that."

Checks paypal account; Oh I bought that one. Cool.

rheckert

Quote:
i made mine

What lip is that? From what car? Do you have a side shot?

^Looks like a 94-95 accord.

My roommate has one on his accord. I may steal it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts