The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How not to clean a block deck, or the worst block I ever had to surface.

BogusSVO

I just had to take pics of this and post.

What some people do to cheap out on a build.

Take one Honda D16Y6 block and add a cheapskate and mix in one 4" side grinder.

IMG_1337.jpg

The HG surface of the block, Keep in mind this engine runs a factory MLS HG.

IMG_1334.jpg

Closer view
IMG_1333.jpg

So I get the block set up, and leveled the best I could.

I spray the block deck with blue lay out dye.
My first pass is .0005, just to check set up and level.
I have checked for a front to back taper, about .005

IMG_1339.jpg

Set up is good, lets see how bad it is.

Cut .0015 total .002

IMG_1340.jpg
Cut .0015 total cut .0035
Cut .002 total .0055
IMG_1341.jpg

Cut .0025 total .008
IMG_1343.jpg

Its coming in, but it is still has low in spots.

IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1347.jpg

After cutting a total of .012 this is what I was left with.
IMG_1349.jpg

He has a coolant leak into #4 cylinder, and a miss on 2 others.

He chose this weapon to clean his HG surface because he was having a few issues with HG reside and was in a hurry.

This should help the compression some.

So the moral of this story is... Do not clean your head gasket surface with the same equipment you use for smoothing welds!

EHmotorsports

At the dealership a lot of techs would use the 3M scotchbrite pads with the small zip grinder. They always used to give me crap about using cleaner and a razor blade to take any gasket off as it would take me twice as long to clean the surface. funny thing is I never had a comeback i say it payed off;)

EfiniX

This type of care and attention EXACTLY why EHMotorsports is installing the head that BogusSVO is sending me. These two guys are legit.

prove_it

As long as you don't gouge the surface with the blade. I've used 3m bristle cleaners for 10yrs and 100 some hg jobs with no comebacks. Scotchbrite is a big no no. It can leave particles in the oil that can plug up oil passages or ruin bearings. I do use a razor to clean up the big chunks of gasket, but with MLS you usally don't have that.

I can't believe some one used a grinder on the block. Some people's kids.

Quoting EHmotorsports:
At the dealership a lot of techs would use the 3M scotchbrite pads with the small zip grinder. They always used to give me crap about using cleaner and a razor blade to take any gasket off as it would take me twice as long to clean the surface. funny thing is I never had a comeback i say it payed off;)

BogusSVO

There are many ways to clean a block deck. This is the method I use. There are methods that are better and worse.

The best method to use is the one that works for you, and that doesn't case a sealing issue or comeback.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts