The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

how many of you have a "budget"build on your GVR4?

thruarod

Engine 0
Rod/Main Brgs 120
Head Studs 100
Rod Bolts 40
BC 272 Cams 200
2G MAF 0
20G, FP Race Exh. Man. 989
O2 Housing Gskt 8
BISS O-Ring 5
T-Body Shaft Seals 12
Evo VIII Injectors 0
2600PP, chromemoly fly 0
Dbl. Pin 3/4 fork 0
Shifter Cable Washers 12
Shifter Stop 25
Clutch fork boot 12
Clutch Disc 6 Pad sprg 178
167/2000 1500
Cruise Ctrl + Washer 50
A/C Comp, Cond, Lines, 200
A/C Comp bracket 50
Radiator 180
Lower Radiator Hose 16
Upper Radiator Hose 24
T-Body to Intake Gskt 5
T-Body to Elbow Gskt 5
Fuel Filter 20
Spark Plugs BR6ES 20
MT-90 trans oil 30
Heavy Shockproof T-Case 15
DSMLink V2 (old) 0
DSMLink V3 Upgrde 0
Radiator Cap 12
2.5" Straight Coupler 12

My dorky ass keeps an Excel sheet.. only 3600 bucks!!
All the 0s are what I took from my talon during an upgrade or from friends

MellowVR4

Including the car, I'm at just under 7k. That's doing everything pretty much my self. I don't like thinking about how much I've spent and future expenses That will get spent. I still need to do the paint and body on her, get some awesome wheels and tires, replace all front end suspension components and a few more things. Still got a long way to go. Still wanting the jdm bumpers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Why did you make this thread!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

EMX5636

I've got over 20k in mine. Probably half of that was done in about 6 months when I first bought the car. Then the rest has been over the course of the remaining 6 or so years. I don't see cars/bikes/hobbies etc as an investment to make money or break even, so I don't count. I just enjoy the process.

bobdole

I start feeling ill when I think about how much money I have spent on "VR4".

prove_it

I think everyone has had a budget at some point, but that quickly blew up.

Sounds like there are a bunch of 20k VR4's out there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PlatypusOfFury

669 is a little under 17K in HW.

Car: 4K
English Racing Trans (evo3 gears, 4 spider diff, XMB clutch) 5K
Engine setup from HunterDG's mishap. >5K (feel very fortunate, that setup is well above 5K)
Evo8 front and back seats ~1K
CMP exhaust ~1K
Few BS tidbits. Lights, struts, cyclone mani's, fuel setup. 1.5K.

After engine swap, I'll probably do another 11 in suspension, cabin, body, etc.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
I think everyone has had a budget at some point, but that quickly blew up.

Sounds like there are a bunch of 20k VR4's out there.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

well 20k invested, worth 20k not all of them. maybe 3 or 4 are worth 20k and thats even pushing it.

BpuVR4

my idea budget is taking over when someone else has gotten tired of sinking their $$ in, and the key components are there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MellowVR4

Or, scraping up all of the parts gathered from previous dsm's and making it happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

fuel

Mine is pretty low budget but is still mostly stock and most the money is just on maintenance really.

$7000 initial purchase price
$400 on 20G compressor wheel/housing upgrade, balance, 7deg back cut etc
$150 on EvoIII manifold and high-flow downpipe
$1000 approx spent on maintenance - brake hoses, clutch hose, t-case yolk, tires etc

Planning on spending a little money on little OEM+ upgrades like 2G TB elbow & oversized TB, Evo7/8 ECU + AFM + 560cc injectors, bigger sway bars, Evo2-10 plate rear LSD and maybe give the transmission some loving at some point too.

JamesFoster

Quoting BpuVR4:
my idea budget is taking over when someone else has gotten tired of sinking their $$ in, and the key components are there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's what I did. I have a little over 20k into mine right now, but if you add up the parts alone on my car, it's somewhere around $33-35k. Plus the cost of the 100k mile "mint" (for a 22 year old car anyway, it's not perfect) Galant itself. So I don't feel bad about it. Also, I never had the intention of it being an investment. I'm building it for me, because I like it.

transparentdsm

i feel the same. im not doing this to make money im doing it because i love my car and it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it.

LIV4PSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
well 20k invested, worth 20k not all of them. maybe 3 or 4 are worth 20k and thats even pushing it.

What's it take to build a $20,000 GVR4? About $30,000 haha

JCorbo25

When I had mine...

$3,000 in Car
$3,000 in parts + maintenance crap

When i sold it all:
$3,000 in Car
$3,000 in parts

I think I did ok, it needed ~$1k in work when I sold it (driveshaft rebuild and some odds'n'ends)

Shopping for a $15k Evo right now...

coyotes

Quoting JamesFoster:
I'm building it for me, because I like it.

This. cars are a terrible investment, so do it because you love it.

I have a fraction of the money in my car as some of you guys, but I love my VR4 and it never gets tired or boring to drive. It needs lots of love still, but as is the car is fun and does what I want it to.

Kentstatetsi

I got pretty lucky with a junkyard here. Avid mounts, 4 bolt lsd, chromoly crossmember, 650 injectors, SS clutch line, CC sprung 6 puck, ACT flywheel, 2g maf adapter, 255 pump, socketed eprom, eibach/kyb setup. Those are just what I put on the galant. I don't think I spent more than $200 for all the parts because they don't know what to charge for aftermarket stuff.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts