The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How loud should a stock BoV be? I really can't hear mine...

EfiniX

Mind you that the car is rather loud. Before I did the dodge mod, I was getting very noticeable flutter when the valve would open. After the dodge mod, the flutter is gone. now I'm not saying it isn't opening. It's perfectly possible I wouldn't hear it. That being said, are there symptoms I can check for of a BoV that doesn't open? The car runs, boosts, and idles just fine.

manikbastrd

On stock intake it is really quiet. On an aftermarket intake like a dejon 2g, it is louuuuuud. Lots of BOV and lots of Turbo spool noise.

strokin4dr

Mine got very loud after swapping to a FP intake, doing the dodge garage mod and turning up the boost.

coyotes

I can barely hear mine, on wastegate pressure with an aftermarket intake. But it goes into the stock MAF/intake which likely muffles it a lot.

prove_it

I have the dodge mod with ecmlink controlling it. Under light load I hear it very well. Under heavy load and quick shifts, I barely hear it. Currently using a 2.5in steel intake with no MAF. Running a S16g at 22psi. There's a lot that can change the sound of the valve.

I think with yours since you have it venting through a 180 bend, that might be absorbing noise quite a bit.

manikbastrd

Quoting coyotes:
I can barely hear mine, on wastegate pressure with an aftermarket intake. But it goes into the stock MAF/intake which likely muffles it a lot.

This is because of your stock intake. That bend and all the flex in the piping, combined with the stock maf causes it to happen. I have a Dejon intake for sale just for the record guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

coyotes

I have an aftermarket pipe that goes to the stock MAF. But yes still quiet although I can hear a PSH faintly.

EfiniX

Quoting manikbastrd:
Quoting coyotes:

This is because of your stock intake. That bend and all the flex in the piping, combined with the stock maf causes it to happen. I have a Dejon intake for sale just for the record guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Do tell...

manikbastrd

If you were asking about the intakes, see this Link . I would do a local discount especially if you pick it up.

Last edited:

prove_it

Shameless self promoter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

manikbastrd

You have to have pride and standards to have shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, don't start linking me in with mike....you start talking about shameless self promoters hahaha

EfiniX

Quoting manikbastrd:
If you were asking about the intakes, see this Link . I would do a local discount especially if you pick it up.

Pm sent!

prove_it

Quoting manikbastrd:
You have to have pride and standards to have shame. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, don't start linking me in with mike....you start talking about shameless self promoters hahaha

No, stop it there. No more threads ending in discussions about Mike.

tektic

Dodge garage with a 2.5 inch steel intake recirc piped in at a 45. With 21psi it is very pronounced. So mutch so that it sounds aftermarket or open to atmosphere. Love it though. Wouldn't change it.

EfiniX

yeah, this is why I'm asking. I'm running around 24psi and I don't hear a noisy pssssh. That being said, I don't hear a scream or screech from compressor surge either. Might just not be all that loud. I have a partial hard-pipe, but a full pipe would certainly be an improvement so I don't have hard rubber elbows.

EfiniX

I should say that it dawns on me that I know my BoV must be working since it literally blew off the old dump hose. You think I would remember that thread since I'm the one that wrote it....

jnava

Staff member
Quoting manikbastrd:

I lol'd

jnava

Staff member
I had the stock intake plumbing when I had the E316g at around 30 and it was as if it was vta. Yes, when the boost was at stock and 14b, it wasn't noticable.

strokin4dr

evo3 16g, ets FMIC with all hard piping, FP 4" intake w/ no mas (SD), huge K&N filter and modded 1g bov vented. Running 24 psi.
Noticeable when releasing pressure at any boost level and very loud/aftermarket sounding if releasing full boost pressure.

EfiniX

Strokin4dr

I've got a T3-T04 w/ a .62 clip, 2g MAF, big K&N, custom 4" hard pipe w/ welded recirculation pipe, hard rubber intake bends, a recirculated dodge-modded 1g BoV (not crushed), ETS FMIC kit w/ all hard pipes, and I'm running 24psi as well.

I'm not hearing the woosh, but I"m also not hearing the scream or flutter of a compressor surge. I'm wondering if my recirculated setup is simply not as loud as the rest of my car at-speed. Like I said before, it blew the old rubber recirculation hose off, so I must assume it's doing something...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned