The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How does this look for an intercooler upgrade over stock.

rdomeck

Anything can be made to work. Looks a little on the small side, but it really is impossible to tell in the pictures. Take some measurements and go from there......

kooter

Sorry for the crappy pics.
So I know it is small compared to most, but it is huge compared to stock.
It is off a hyndai genesis. I only ask because I couldn't beat the price.
I am new to pretty much everything so I am sure it will be a learning experience.

Barnes

The stock intercooler is HORRIBLE. I'd argue that almost anythign that isn't stock is an improvment. That particular intercooler looks like it would be a VAST improvement over stock.

Racah15

At my old job, we had an intercooler that looked like that but was universal and probably flows better. I've seen Galants flip them around and run them end tank side up, instead of down, and they bolt on almost perfect. Infact, a buddy of mine runs the type 1 or 2 which is the same length, different height.

Check it out:

click

kooter

I really had the same thought. I mean it couldn't be any worse right. eventually we will spend the money for the proper upgrade. To be honest it probably will be a year before I get to that point. I have been putting off my engine rebuild for some time now. Finally got around to ordering some parts. God bless the tax refund. Also I gotta say paul @ jnztuning.com very pleasant and helpfull. But still have to pick piston and rod combo, head gasket, and maybe just a few little odds and ends. Hopefully in two or three months I will be ready to start putting it all back together. Kinda been awhile since I took it all apart. Should be interesting.

I would also like to say thanks to everyone on this site. When I bought this car I had no clue. Thanks to all the good info and experience here I have learned alot and have a basic idea of what I am trying to do. You guys all rock.
This is my first turbo, first all wheel drive car. I drove it maybe a dozen times. Decided I wanted to rebuild everything I can to help return her to her full glory. As usual in life things happen and the project has been delayed several times. By the time I get around to the intercooler. I will probably not even use this one.
Who know's anything can happen right.

Last edited:

prove_it

If it fits and seals, it's better than stock. End of thread. The stock IC is a huge joke that the bumper laws forced us to have over the jdm style.

As long as you have a 14b, 16G, or similiar, this should work great.

kooter

Now that is a too the point answer, thanks prove. Like I said couldn't couldn't beat the price. Just wanted to get some experienced opinion's.

jnava

Staff member
The stock one is what really chokes our cars. I upgraded to a evo 9 fmic but I only modified the stock plumbing to make it work. So essentially, I did have a more efficient fmic but I was still choking it with the plumbing. If you can get some good even size pipes, you'll be alright and the it will work well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned