The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hotbits Options

VR_IV_MR

Ok so I've got a few questions when it comes to these hotbits...

they range from $2800 to $8200

click

Whats the difference between all the kits?

And when going from stock to coilovers, what other parts are required? Do I have to get those camber plates? \

Thanks

Olson

Search Larry Parker on this site he is the local rep for these and can walk you through the process of getting a set.
Right now i have the 35 way single adjustable remote resivor with the hotbits camber plate (I highly suggest some set of camber plates) . Once you have picked out the ones you want call Larry he will talk spring rates with you ( you dont have to know jack about those) and what you are wanting the car to behave like, from there he will valve the strut/shocks to the spring.

I for one have to say these are some of the nicest coilovers out there. I have ridden in cars with a wide range of suspension from cheapo sh*t to japan crap to the nicer germ stuff. I tracked and DD my car for a few years on these and have nothing bad to say about them. They ride nice when you want them to, Ie 2k road trip with wife and dog with no complaints. I can hit up the local auto=x or track day and adjust them to where they suit my driving style.
When i get home in 4 years I'm going to get them rebuilt for rally-x and go double adjustable on them.
Larry can also rebuild them and upgrade them in the future
Agian call larry

jepherz

Staff member
I was going to say....did these things appreciate like gold since I got them?

8200 Malaysian ringgits = 2726.0654 US dollars

How serious are you about suspension and what are you looking to use the car for? The 2 way adjustable units seem like over-kill for anyone except the professionals in suspension tuning. You should be able to use any camber plates, but yes, you'd want to have something.

VR_IV_MR

Haha that makes me feel much better!

Ok well if 2 way is for professionals...

then 1 way adj. is for.... the auto-x? the weekend warrior?

If your not going to get the 1 way adj, is it even worth going coilovers, or should you just stick to adjustable shocks/struts?

edit: are coilovers going to last as long as typical shock/strut combo? Im willing to pay for the set as long as I dont have to replace them twice as much as the shocks/struts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olson

Lex I've had mine for 3 years now and there not showing any signs of giving up. Thats with easy thousand miles of track auto-x and a few thousand mountain roads. Then all the daily i have put on them. Also they are rebuildable

cheekychimp

Aside from the early first generation type kits which are single adjustable DT1's WITHOUT remote canisters, Hotbits essentially offers the DT1, DT2 and the new RSI.

The DT's are similar to the first generation Hotbits, but have a thicker wall and improved pistons and metering system. The RSI are really a rally only set because they require maintenance much more often as is the case with any high-end inverted race/rally set.

As has been stated, the DT2's are really for serious competition use, but they are preferable to RSI's for street duty since they use the same guts, but are lower in cost and much better suited for long term use.

The DT series are available in a few lengths including street (20mm shorter), race (40mm shorter) and rally (20mm longer or so). If required, Larry can also make what he refers to as 'dual spec kits' which have a stock body length strut, but use a longer shock rod to get the stroke.

And before anyone accuses me of being a resident suspension or Hotbits expert, I'm not. I contacted Larry a couple of months back with pretty much the same question as the OP and the above is what I got back from him, just paraphrased to remove irrelevant stuff specific to my setup.

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I went through few different springs/shock/sleeve combinations on the galant before I got the HotBits. Never looked back.
Yes they were expensive but the time/money I spent on the other setups I could of just gotten the HotBits to begin with.
I had the Race version with Single adjustment, external reservoirs and front adjustable camber plates. I think it was just under 2K dollars with shipping and all.
My car was mostly a daily driver with the occasional auto-x. On full soft it rode way smoother than a stock galant suspension and when I turned up the knob it handled like it was on rails.

Lukefraizer

I have a set of these on my car and they are amazing! Stiff and tons of adjustability I rallyx on them and they were very good for that as well

VR_IV_MR

So... The inverted ones require too much maintenance...

Are the DT2 Streetable? Do they require more upkeep then the DT1?

Thanks alot everybody

VR_IV_MR

Talked to Larry.

Going DT2s with the street tune and front camber plates.

Any suggestions on what to do while I'm doing the change from stock to hotbits?

Larry mentioned doing the ball joints. anything else come to mind?

Thanks

KiNgMaRtY

I would do endlinks, tierods, and ES control arm poly bushings to get the best out of it. I've had my eye on them for some time too and may eventually give in

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts