The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Horn wiring help needed

So a friend of mine with a 1g talon picked up some horns from a Toyota supra to replace the weak, meeeep, horn that 1g's have. He is not electrical savvy so called me over for help. I'm not very electrical savvy either and when I ground these horns they blow the fuse.

The talon horn has two wires going to it, the supra horn has one wire. From what I read the Toyota horn uses the bracket as a ground. Anyone have suggestions on making these work? When I give them 12 volts via the battery they blast so I know they work.

When I have the horn not bolted to the car and I plug the power wire in and give a bolt on the horn ground it blasts, but when it's bolted to the car and we activate the horn via the center of the steering wheel the fuse blows. What are we missing?

Thanks

Barnes

Well, if you want to get that horn working in your cager it's fairly straight forward. The horn you are trying to install draws more amps than the stock horn. Enough extra amps that you are blowing fuses. The only way to *properly* get around this is to use a relay. Use the stock horn wires to activate the relay coil, and hook up the switched connectors on the relay directly to the car battery with a fuse (bigger than the stock horn fuse) and appropriatly sized wire.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif i had a feeling i was going to need a relay. is there any way to avoid running a wire to the battery so there's one less obnoxious wire in the bay? Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Barnes

You choices are either a relay, or replace the OEM wiring with bigger wire and a larger fuse. You *could* just use a larger fuse, but that's not considered safe. You run the risk of overheating your horn wire and starting a fire.

Might be worth looking into other horns that are louder than stock, but use less power.

Ok, yeah I am aware that replacing the fuse with a larger one is not a proper fix. We'll see which route he wants to go.

ktmrider

Quoting Barnes:
Well, if you want to get that horn working in your cager it's fairly straight forward.

Recognize for proper use of "cager" LOL. BTW you coulda used Hella ( Hella Tone brand horns ) too.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Def go the relay route like mentioned, no need to risk an engine bay fire for more noise.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts