The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Honda question

James

My buddy has a CRX swith a B18 motor swap. He's getting a CPS engine code so he's going to replace the whole cap and rotor. He look up the dizzy for the motor and the plug is different.

He pulled his dizzy off and got the prt# and looked that up. It's for a 1.6 SOHC motor.

I don't know if the dizzy was modified in any way to "make it work" obviously the wiring harness plug has to have been modified for it to work.

My question is, is there a difference between a SOHC and DOHC distributors? Or does that size of the motor make a difference?

James

If that's the case then how is the current one on the car working??

aaron619

The only major difference between the two distributors is the conectors. Depending on the year, the distributor will have 2 or three sensors inside of it. All the OBD1 singal cam distibutors had 3 "cam" sensors in them- CPS, CKS, and TDC#1 sensor. OBD2, they moved the CKS to the actual crank shaft for better missfire monitoring. The car will run with 2 of the 3 sensors not working. In your case, more info is needed: what is the car using for an ECU? what year is the engine? what year is the distributor? has the wiring harness been cut and rewired? or have the two conectors been "re-pined"? what year, and model did the engine wiring harness come out of.

5OF2k

not quite aaron, there is a major difference between the two, as far as the bolt patterns go. Im willing to bet hes got a true ls diz on there, esp if all of the bolts were in and on, otherwise he'd be missing two, because only one would line up on it...

What kind of harness does the car have on it, what is the motor (B18a, b, c etc), and what is he running for engine management?

Chances are, the CPS is actually bad, it does happen from time to time. I'd try a KNOWN good Dizzy, and go from there. Theyre cheap, and everywhere, so it shouldnt be hard to come accross one.

-Jake

marvinmadman

Depending on which model crx. The dual point injected 1.5 doesn't come with a cps. The 1.6 models have a different distributor with a cps in it for the mpfi. Ever seen the ZC engine with it on the end of the cam? It might not be wired at all is what I'm saying without knowing more.

James

Turns out the dizzy wasn't even the cause. His timing is actually off.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts