The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

holset turbo questions

galant651

i currently have a hx35w with a dsm exhaust housing. doing research on some turbo ideas. really wanting to do a hy35 non wastegated exhaust housing on the hx35 if its even possible, if not do they make a antisurge compressor housing for the hy35. any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Vr4junkie

Im not sure the HY35 housing would work on the HX35 the HY is a V band but if you want to go with a T3 they have a BEP housing for that aswell.

galant651

thats what i thought. i wanted the hy housing cause its a 9cm, smallest hx is 12cm. just looking for better spool time.

Vr4junkie

Yeah I know what you mean heres theses guys running the HY35 >>> click there getting good results on pump gas.

Last edited:

galant651

thats not bad. i think i might just stick with my hx though and switch to a twin scroll setup with an upgraded 9blade compressor wheel. i also found the exhaust housing that i wanted for it.. now its just time and money.

Vr4junkie

If you do go twin scroll post some pics up havent seen any Vr4s with a twin scroll HX35 yet I was planning on doing that but those mainfolds are expensive .

galant651

yeah. i plan on building my own. it will probably be a while though cause i cant have alot of downtime.

sy1100

After seeing this yesterday, I am now seriously rethinking the direction I want to go with in regards to my turbo set-up... I've been reading all weekend on what to go with hx40 or hx35 stay with the billet 20g I have waiting.. Curse you guys..

galant651

i like the hx35 personally, not the best turbo if you use the dsm housing. just a little laggy. it should spool quicker with the twin scroll though.im set at 20psi right now and that turbo will pull 20 all day. the hardest thing is just getting the oil pressures right. but when its right and it spools it runs like a rapped ape! i can pull hard enough from a stop to second that my sunroof shade will pull back almost all the way.

WaRrIoRs16

Quoting Vr4junkie:
If you do go twin scroll post some pics up havent seen any Vr4s with a twin scroll HX35 yet I was planning on doing that but those mainfolds are expensive .

You haven't searched very hard.

Vr4junkie

ohhh now I remember took me a while no wonder that user name sounded so familiar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif so what's up with that car you finally got it going never got to see the end results.

WaRrIoRs16

I took it to the track like 2 months ago or so and broke it. I never got a chance to do any tuning before it broke on the first pass with a 13.0, pretty depressing. I haven't started working on it yet, so chances are it won't make it to the track again this year.

Well i do really think I m not sure the HY35 would perform on the HX35 the HY is a V group but if you want to go with a T3 they have a BEP for that as well. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

Vr4junkie

WaRrIoRs16 Man that sucks what did you end up breaking and how was the spool with that housing and manifold?

Lucaslutain I think the HY35 would spool a little faster than the HX35 in a T3 housing since it has a smaller housing .63 vs .70 Plus the HY35 could be had cheap I bought mine for 130 shipped a T3 BEP housing is 229 from Extremepsi if your not looking for crazy numbers I think the HY35 might be a good alternative.
HX HY

HY HX

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts