The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HMMM: Evo VIII/IX turboback?

5OF2k

Hello, all.

In my boredom at work, I've let my mind wander a tad, amongst other things. Basically, whilst cruising the interwebs for EVO8/9 parts, I came accross a very good deal on an Evo 9 3" turbo back exhaust($200). Now, mine isnt terrible, and it works, but for the T67 it's far from ideal. I dont know how many of you have actually seen an Evo's exhaust system, but it's rediculously straight, very few bends, therefore optimising flow.

Now, I realize it'll be nothing like a bolt/on system, given the orientation of the Evo's engine/trans being flip-flopped, and Im not opposed to modifying it at all to fit.

For those of you curious, here's a few basic specs of our cars vs evo vs DSM size-wise: (WB=Wheel base, OL= Overall length)

Evo 8/9: WB: 103.3in
OL: 176.8-178.5in

GVR4: WB: 102.4in
OL: 179.5in

T/E/L: WB: 97.2in
OL: 172.8in

As you can see, just off of the basics the GVR4 is much closer to the overall size of the Evos rather than the DSMs. This makes me think it'd be a lot less effort to make the Evo exhaust fit, especially if you already have an exhisting 3" downpipe/etc, to where you dont have to modify it to clear our Tcases.

Has this been contemplated before, done before, any feedback/ideas?

-Jake

EHmotorsports

I'm not sure if you know how to weld. If you do go pick up an exhaust builder kit that has mandrel bends for 80.00 and 5 foot section of straight for 40.00. Then build a perfect fit exhaust.

Defiant

wont work without major modifications.

1G exhaust
exhaust004-1.jpg

EVO 8/9 Exhaust
ExhaustThread.jpg

Last edited:

5OF2k

Quoting EHmotorsports:
I'm not sure if you know how to weld. If you do go pick up an exhaust builder kit that has mandrel bends for 80.00 and 5 foot section of straight for 40.00. Then build a perfect fit exhaust.

I can indeed weld, not an issue at all!

EHmotorsports

awesome! I just see cutting and welding to the evo exhaust to make it fit better. so for me at least its less of a headache starting fresh. I have done it both ways with past cars of mine. made due with what i had on hand. more work but the outcome was still the same.

5OF2k

Quoting Defiant:
wont work without major modifications.

1G exhaust
exhaust004-1.jpg

EVO 8/9 Exhaust
ExhaustThread.jpg

I see your point, to a point, but Im also looking to have as few bends as possible to promote the best flow possible. I've built an exhaust for my old 1G a loooooong time ago that had 2 bends in it; one where the downpipe met the O2 housing, and one back just before the diff to clear everything. Best par of all is it didnt rattle or vibrate audibly at all. sure, clearance was closer than factory in a few spots, but nothing that would become an issue. I also had a small flexjoint section near the tcase/oilpan as typical, and used 2 3" but joint band couplers to hold it all together.

Sure, it was loud because there was no resonators or anything of the sort, but i could've easily added a few inline glasspacks to use as resonators if I so desired.

Basically, the Evo exhaust is the closest pre-made exhaust to the exhaust I made for my Talon years ago, and was curious why nobody had thought of modifying one to fit our cars, yet.

I have a buddy coming by the shop tonight with his 9 to let me take some measurements and so-on, I'll update as I go!

-Jake

5OF2k

Excellent, thanks! I looked for a while yesterday and couldnt find anything on it. Appreciate it!

By all means, dont think I expect it to be a direct bolt-on or anything of the sort. BUT, a viable option? sure.

-Jake

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned