The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HKS or Tial wastegate on ERL manifold?

vtecds1

I recently purchase a ERL T3 exhaust manifold and I'm now undecided on what wastegate to use. I'm currenly on a DDP made T3 tubular manifold/HKS standard wastegate(old school) and boost is controlled via Profec B specII. I`m thinking of switching to either the old 38mm Tial or the new 38mm Tial MVS.

Here's my dilemma...

I'm tempted to use the HKS wastegate because it is solid and has never given me any problems. Boost holds and no creep/bleed. Only downfall for the new setup would be a new ss flange and modifying(maybe cutting the L-shaped motor mount bracket) for it to fit. I would guess total cost with the welding...under $100.

My other option is the Tial gates. The older version Tial is a direct bolt on because of the hardware it came with. The only extra money I would have to spend is on the dumptube and to have it welded...$250 total? The MVS would probably be another $30 extra.

Now, would changing wastegates affect the settings of my Profec? I love the boost controller but it is a PIA to mess with. Would cutting the "L" mount have any negative affects? Anyone have any problems with Tial products(I've heard mixed reviews)? Obviously, like a lot of people...saving money would be a beautiful thing. But I also dont want any headaches in the long run.

What would you guys do?

DynastyLCD

cutting the L side of the engine mount can be done without issue. i've been running mine like that for a few years, i don't use P/S anymore so its got no function. plus everything looks a lot cleaner without the bracket that bolts to the block, the P/S stuff, etc.

my personal opinion: run what you've got. sounds like you don't have any issues with this HKS wastegate. if it aint broke, why fix it? unless that is, you can sell it to profit, and get your TiAL wastegate to make everything a bolt-on affair.

lastly, ive got roughly 50k on my TiAL 44mm wastegate and TiAL 50mm BOV.... no issues with either one at all!

vtecds1

Thanks for your input... I was so close into buying a 38mm Tial yesterday since it would a lot less hassle installing it, but the seller for some reason can't seem to answer all my questions about the wastegate he's selling. So I just decided to go ahead and run the HKS.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts