The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HIDS????

dustyduff

Dont throw HID bulbs into your headlights. If you definietely want hids do a retrofit with 93' headlights. Your money could be better spent elsewhere. I already had basic maintenance and tons of other things accomplished before I did the retrofit.

92_talon_awd

Quoting Wookalar:
The most oem like color range is 4500 "kelvin" or candle power, or 5000.

This is confusing, candle power is a measurement of light intensity and kelvin is a temperature measurement. But OEM hid's are around the 4.5k range.

Wookalar

Sorry about that, I thought the kelvin was the candle power. I havent researched the topic in years but know for a fact that our galant housings, and other similar 90's mitsu housings are not made for hids.

Last edited:

turbowop

It's funny the lengths people will go to have headlights that perform worse than stock, all just to get rid of a slight yellow hue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

NEWSFLASH: Installing garbage Chinese HID kits will not turn your headlights into a modern, well performing projector with good cutoff. It will turn them into a poor performing, blinding annoyance for all oncoming drivers. Oh, but the light will be less yellow. ZOMG!! I suggest you buy some chrome door edge stripping and a large wing for your trunk as well. All probably found in the same ricer aisle of your local autoparts store.

EHmotorsports

I have the Sulvania silver star lights and people flash me all the time because they are bright. I dont understand blinding everyone on the road with HID's if you really want them put them in the fog lights.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evohay.gif

prove_it

Quoting coyotes:
Just polish your headlights nice and get some good syvanias or something. Old school cars should stick with old school lighting. Granted this is just my opinion but I think HIDs look way out of place on early 90s cars.

You can't polish glass, and Silverstars are great.

coyotes

By that I mean use toothpaste or headlight restore to clean up the outside of your headlight the best you can. Made a difference on my headlights.

prove_it

Quoting manikbastrd:
I disagree, you can finish glass...

How?

minneSNOWta

Cerium oxide.

Wookalar

Bingo. Cerium oxide. I did some research on glass polishing a while back but shifted direction and forgot about it. There is a video on youtube or vimeo of some guy polishing a windshield.

The best option for our lights is either custom where you seperate the glass from housing and work a modern piece of the hid specific housing into your old housing so the light pattern is precise. Or you find 93 headlights and use some decent "white" bulbs.

GVR41380

yeah i'll just stick with the oem bulbs, dont want to follow the honda crowd thats for sure! Thanks for all your guys opinions! i do like those 93 projectors thou! looks nice!

SleepinGVR4

Quoting EHmotorsports:
I have the Sulvania silver star lights and people flash me all the time because they are bright. I dont understand blinding everyone on the road with HID's if you really want them put them in the fog lights.

Sylvania bulbs are the biggest pieces of junk ever made.

prove_it

I'm going on two years with silverstars in the GVR4, no issues and drive at night daily, how can that be junk? Had silverstars in my Accord for 5 years, no issues.

Why do you say they are junk?

SleepinGVR4

Just search about sylvania silverstars and you'll find one forum after another complaining about them.

I've also notice they lose 20% of their brightness in less than a year.

GE nighthawks are better and last longer.

prove_it

Guess I'm special then. Never had an issue, nor felt a loss of light.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts