The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help with rear brake pad install

vr4hotness

I'm super clueless on the rear brake pad install on my gvr4.

I took off the whole caliper and put on the new rotor and now I out back the caliper and I can't figure out how to put the pads in.

the e brake is all hooked up and stuff.

sorry I feel like a total noob, but the rear caliper only has one bolt and it only move up and not enough room to squeeze in the new pad.

Lancer99

Did you compress the piston back in? It's not a one that you can compress with a c-clamp, there's a tool you need to use and you turn it to compress it.

vr4hotness

That's most likely the problem, I tried using a press tool but the piston won't go back, do you know what that took is called?

And the caliper does not come off correct, it just lift up when putting in the new pads

Lancer99

Caliper should come off the bracket. There's two bolts that hold it on. Once those are off the caliper should slide right off. The tool is a speical tool, but I just picked up a unervisal tool at autozone for like 10 bucks maybe less.

Lancer99

Yes that's the one I have. You just have to find the right combo.

vr4hotness

The rear caliper has only 1 bolt on the bottom and the top is some rubber plug no head for a bolt

Last edited:

prove_it

Bottom is a bolt, top is a pin that is bolted to the bracket. It can be removed, but not needed. The tool listed is the same one I use professionally, and has lasted for 12yrs. Got mine at Sears, but most part stores will have one.

note: when turning in, go clockwise and make sure there is room in the master reservoir for fluid to return into. You'll need to turn the tool with a 3/8" ratchet and apply pressure to push the piston in while turning it. It might be really really hard to do, if so the caliper is sticking and should be replaced. If it's hard then gets easy to push in that's just the seal fighting you and it's fine. Check your new pads too, make sure they slide right into the bracket. If you have to force them, then you need to clean the bracket. Rust build-up can cause this and the pads will seize, drag, and wear really fast.

Last edited:

Lancer99

Umm. I think that should be a bolt. I haven't done a rear brake in awhile. I have to take a look at mine again.

prove_it

You'll line up what ever bumps fit the piston, when you look at the piston you'll see the indents where the tool will catch. Then using the center square of the tool connect a 3/8" ratchet and off you go.

There is a bolt on the top of the caliper, but it's bolted to the bracket, you have to swing the caliper up and then slide the caliper off. After you remove the caliper completely you'll see the head of the bolt.

You can see it in this pic.
RearCalipers.jpg

prove_it

Hey we all fight the same demon in our garages. If we help each other, maybe we got a chance.

badams

Quoting prove_it:

There is a bolt on the top of the caliper, but it's bolted to the bracket, you have to swing the caliper up and then slide the caliper off. After you remove the caliper completely you'll see the head of the bolt.

Weird, I just pulled off my calipers tonight... thought that bolt was a little weird that it slid right off instead of being removed. Thought I did it wrong but it was easy to slide off. I don't remember it being like that on the '91 DSM I had?

transparentdsm

Did you remove the e-brake cable? That is the only thing that has ever made it difficult for me to remove the rear caliper from the guide pin.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good tip for when you do this job- loosen the park brake adjustment under the center console tray and it makes removing the cable much easier. Then readjust to proper tension to finish the rear brake job.

vr4hotness

Pushed the piston all the way back, but looks like I need to remove the e-brake cable.
Man what a pain for just rear brakes

vr4hotness

So I'm stuck.

How the hell do I remove the e brake cable?

Looks lime I need to remove it either way to get the pads inn.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
As I suggested, loosen the cable adjustment, then you have to rotate the lever on the caliper with a tool while pulling the cable back and out of its groove. You may still have a clip there to hold the cable that was on the caliper originally, but some are long gone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts