The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help me log!

donkeylips

So I connect a DSMLink V2 cable to the data port:
100_1260.jpg

And just to be sure that I had 12V for it, I connected it directly to the battery:
100_1257.jpg

Then I turned the key to the "on" position:
100_1262.jpg

Connected it to the laptop (with no null-modem adapter):
100_1261.jpg

Launched TMO Logger, and attempted to connect.
When I click connect it says "not connected/insufficient power" or something. I click it again and the message changes. If I click it a third or fourth time, it usually says "Datalogger working properly". Then it will let me continue.
When I continue and try to log, it doesn't work. It says "link down".

The car is 99% stock and I've tried a couple of different non-eprom, 91-94 MT turbo DSM ECUs. Other than having the ISC disconnected and also running ridiculously rich (seriously dumping in a ton of fuel; the car reeks of gas), the car starts right up and drives normally. I have some very minor boost leaks but the car accelerates smoothly.

The check engine light is ON, and when I use my 12V buzzer to check the code, the sound is more faint than on my other cars. The factory boost gauge does not work. But it lights up fine upon startup as you can see in the above picture. The code my CEL is throwing is a code 12 (Volume air flow sensor).

So I checked the resistance between the diagnostic port pin (diagnostic output, yellow wire) and it's corresponding pin at the ECU connector, and it was 2.4 Ohms. The other diagnostic port pin (diagnostic control signal on/off, white wire) measured .9 Ohms to it's corresponding ECU connector pin.
I'm going to test the diagnostic port again tomorrow based on what I read here and here. I have already done most of this. Looking for more ideas. I have used this laptop and program to log on my other GVR4, but I have never used this cable. It seems that either my cable is bad, or my ECU isn't spitting out the signal properly.

donkeylips

I'm happy to report that my check engine light is gone, and my boost gauge works again. My airflow wire had been hacked by a previous owner and I had missed it. I'm in way better shape now, but I still can't log.

I'm beginning to think that a DSMLink cable is not compatible with the TMO software. Can anybody confirm or disprove this?

mitsuturbo

I cannot confirm or deny, but i would highly doubt they're fully compatible, as the Link cable had some proprietary circuitry built-in, i believe. AFAIK this was done in part to combat potential (and eventual) piracy.

You may be better off just building a regular palm logger cable. Instructions should be readily available online. I used to build them. It's quite easy. The parts will probably cost you less than $10.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts