The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP! -> Weird Noise: Video included!

alansupra94

I am not sure what this noise is. It is not a spun bearing because I am all too familiar with that noise. I want to say that I think its my lifters although I cleaned them throughly before installing them. It gets louder with the RPM (not shown in video). I have just rebuilt the engine. Should I possibly put some miles and see if the noise subsides?

Could it be caused by the oil pump not being aligned properly? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif (I have a ported OFH btw)

click

Thanks,
Alan

Information on motor:
6 bolt block
Balance Shafts removed
ACL bearings
2G/1G piston/rod combination
ACT Flywheel and 2600 Clutch
Ostrich 2.0
3G lifters
Ported OFH

Brunoboy

it sounds like lifters to me. is it coming from multiple parts of the valve cover? it takes time on a new motor to break in the lifters, well with mine and I have 3g

Last edited:

alansupra94

I thought so but I wanted to be sure.

I had sprayed the galleys and make sure all of the oil was gone from inside of them with carb cleaner. I suppose I will wait and see.

Thanks guys,
Alan

throughfaith323

you say you made sure there was no oil in them when you installed them or did you mean something else?

if so that's the opposite of what you want. you have to bleed the lifters and make sure they are filled with oil before you install.

Jesh

I rebuilt my engine about 4000 miles ago and my lifters were pretty loud at first but after a while the noise just went away.

Diego

After refreshing my motor, my lifters were a little louder 1mm oversized and bronze guides ( not sure if that matters any )

They quieted up after a few "seating" drives in low gear and hills....

NickDromez

my car makes the same sound when its cold, but goes away when its warm, iv heard its the lifters

alansupra94

I can confirm that the noise is gone. Looks like the lifters are finally happy. Now its on to base timing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts