The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! Engine whine.... coming from the oil pump!?!?

381gvr4

This started about 2 months ago. I noticed a noise from the TB side of the motor.

I pulled the TB cover off to find the tensioner was bad. I went to Napa and replaced it since a oem unit lasted roughly one oil change(3250 miles on build). Reassembled everything and lite her up and had the same noise.

Now I remove the TB cover AGAIN and assembled everything without the cover on. Ran the motor and used a stethoscope to try to pinpoint the noise.

Its sounds like a whining, almost light grinding squel sound above 2225rpm.

So I am pretty sure that it is coming from the front cover. I did do a BSE.

Has anyone else have this experience from a failing oil pump or oil pump with a bad bearing??

Thnaks for any help!!

Last edited:

Barnes

Is this an OEM oil pump?

Couple things I could think of that might cause a failed oil pump:

1)Non OEM oil pump stub shaft
2)Blocked oiling hole on the stub shaft
3)T-belt that is too tight.

How was your OEM tensioner bad? If you got a geniuenly bad tensioner, I would say that might be the first I've ever heard of. Doesn't mean you should switch from OEM.

381gvr4

^^^ Yes oem new oil pump. Tensioner oil was all over it and bottom of the timing cover. It was also fully depressed. When I removed it, it never recovered, just stayed fully depressed. Im not sure the pump is bad but definetly seems to be making the noise.

The timing belt is normal. It was even loose when I found the tensioner but never jumped timing.

I also did use a oem new stubby after reading the horror stories of generics.

Google pulls up mention of the stubby shaft bolt coming loose and causing a similarly described noise. The pump gears rub on the cover due to the bolt not being tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I would try to video tape this if it would help but it would be hard to single the noise out with all the other engine noise. Again, this doesnt happen at idle. ....

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

You can easily check the bolt into the stub shaft by removing the odd looking cover which is somewhat eclipsed by the oil pump drive gear (the one the timing belt runs on). Of course, you have to remove the oil pump drive gear first.

curtis

I know it sucks but pull it and inspect everything. If you didn't impact a valve into the pistons or heads you got damn lucky. If you did the work cuss, if someone else did cuss them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

and if the belt is oily get a new one. Doesn't matter if your cleaning it with brake parts cleaner or what its still in the pores of the rubber and fibers and you want get it all out. I'm super anal about timing belts cheap and easy to save a big expensive build.

381gvr4

The belt is clean. I laughed about using Rite-stuff for an oil pan gasket! Never will leak, which we know the paper ones do! BUT what a B*TCH to get off!!! Yes Curtis, cussing is in order!!!!

Im thinking....
-drop the pan
-inspect stubby from inside
(worst case, remove the pickup, TB and front cover/pump)

Wish me luck on getting the pan off!!!!

381gvr4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
You can easily check the bolt into the stub shaft by removing the odd looking cover which is somewhat eclipsed by the oil pump drive gear (the one the timing belt runs on). Of course, you have to remove the oil pump drive gear first.

I pulled the timing belt today. Then the oil pump gear, shaft castle plug and checked the stubby bolt which was tight. When rotating the pump, the bearing does feel like it has grains of sand in it. I put everything back together minus the timing cover. I fabricated the theaded tensioner rod and followed the TB TSB Barnes sent me to be sure my TB wasnt too tight. Still exactly the same noise.....

Im now, after rotating the pump by hand 99% sure its the pump. Again with my Stethoscope, the clearest audible sound is right above the pump sprocket.

So where is the best/cheapest place to get a oem new pump and cover???

Thanks for all the help

Last edited:

donniekak

Why would you ever run a car with an oil pump that feels like it has sand in it. You should have pulled the front cover then and there.

381gvr4

^ It felt slighty, slighly notchy. I know I have good oil pressure! I wanted to be absolutly sure it was not related to a overtightened TB as previously discussed. Ran for less than 20 seconds.....

curtis

20 seconds is the same as 3 hours. I would cut the filter and inspect and flush out everything if there's metal then you need to flush out everything . You can back flush the turbo and flush out the oil ports from the head down. don't forget to pull the lifters and the pressure valve in the head. (little 3 bolt thing). Turbo line etc.

381gvr4

Im very sure its a bad bearing on the pump. Not a catostrophic failure. Its not very loud, I just want it gone!!!! I have inspected the oil already.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
There really is not a bearing involved in the oil pump. The gear shafts just ride on oil against the aluminum of the case.

381gvr4

Ill update once its off and I inspect it for wear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned