The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help! Car won't start after installing a 1g tranny.

I have a 1g 4g63t 6bolt, the car won't turn over after i installed the transmission. The tranny was from a 1g eclipse for my galant vr4, I will post up the part number asap ended up also putting in the transfer case from the eclipse also. I can hear the starter kicks out and spins, had it tested. The starter could be not contacting the flywheel. Or the sound is turnover then a jamming noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. yet i can crank it by hand np. which is the same flywheel that i had with the previous tranny and it worked fine. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the flywheel while someone turns the key so i will get back with more details. the only thing that i have changed is the pressure plate and clutch combination because the last clutch cracked ( pos aftermarket )and the pressure plate was warped with the old tranny.I had a stage two pressure plate laying around and a stock clutch disk that i threw in for now. Could that combo be causing it not to turn over? so yea Help.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My goal is to simply get this car to run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Thanks in advance.

I dont know why this poll is here lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Stay tuned for a video...i will prob add another thread with just the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adorsey

Your probably missing some of the grounds that need to be connected to start the car. Or you dont have all the connections in properly. Is everything back together? Did you do a rundown of any electrical connections? Most instances the mechanical part is not the problem, its could just be something stupid simple that got over looked.

Adorsey

Quoting turbowop:
I chose option 1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Didnt even vote till I saw you vote. whats the need for a pole? ahah

I have no idea how the poll got there..wutever vote away people..Its not a the lights can be turned on power everything comes on. just when i turn the key it makes a wining noise from the starter, I'm pretty sure there is not contact between the flywheel and starter

Adorsey

You got any friends in the area with a 4g63? Try and swap it out see if it works

what makes you think it is electrical? the starter kicks out and spins but won't contact the flywheel.

Adorsey

I guess I was a little confused with the wording in youre first post.
Im not there to check it out so I can only go on what your saying.

Only thing I could say is try and swap it out.

jackal

Is the sound coming from the starter more of a whirring or a humming? A humming would indicate that the either the motor is not getting enough current to turn the flywheel or that the solenoid that extends the pinion does not have enough power to extend the pinion so that it engages with the flywheel.

Also, do you hear a tick or click indicating that the pinion is extending? or did you bench test the pinion extending? It's possible that the pinion is not extending far enough or that the starter motor housing is not properly mounted and the pinion can't reach to engage with the flywheel teeth. Are the teeth on the flywheel and the start motor pinion in decent condition?

If you are pretty sure that the motor is spinning freely and not engaging with the flywheel then I would check that the solenoid works, and that the pinion extends the proper distance. Also, if the motor is spinning freely don't keep the key in the start position for very long, more than a few seconds because this could damage the starter motor.

ktmrider

Couple of thoughts, the tranny/flywheel/clutch was either from an auto or FWD model.

Last edited:

misterfixit

You have a starter off an auto. the neck length is different from autos to manuals. autos the ring grear is closer to the block so if you turn the motor (auto with manual starter) it won't disengage. the opposite is what you have here...

Rich

Quoting usethe4ce:
what makes you think it is electrical? the starter kicks out and spins but won't contact the flywheel.

Brunoboy

I voted for 1, because if your not 1st your Last. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

jackal

thanks for your input first off, the starter has been bench tested at two different places and in and out of the car multiple times im sure it is install correctly. I will be honest it has been more than a month since i have touched the car. I have to check it out so see if it is indeed spinning freely with the whirring sound. i turned the crank to also check the teeth on the flywheel, they were fine.

ktmrider
the tranny and pressure plate were from a awd eagle...i came with a transaxle and the tranny clearly has the output shaft...like i said also the flywheel was fine with the previous tranny, but i had cracked the old pp and clutch disk.

the starter is the previous starter that i had with the first manual set up and it worked fine. good point tho for future reference.

bruno that shiii is halarious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I have been attempting to figure this out for a min guys ...

14u2nV

You sure it's a 1g tranny? Seems like I remember the 2g had a slightly different starter location.

yea im sure because the tranny plate matches up perfectly and the starter seems to be in the same location..i will post the part number asap

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts