The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head Removal Question

kumfasa

Hi All,
Timing belt went on me a few days ago and I'm taking the head off to assess the damage. Tragic story read my other post if you want some background.

Have never done it before but am a capable and practical kind of guy.
I have it to the point where I'm almost ready to remove the head bolts and lift it out.

My question is about the exhaust manifold.

If I unbolt the manifold to turbo bolts will the head just lift off?
The angle of the manifold to turbo stud look off from the angle of lifting the head straight up.

Cheers from the land of the long white cloud.

fuel

does the engine block have studs or still standard head bolts? If head bolts still, then you just remove them one by one as you undo them and lift the head off from the locating dowels (about 5mm high) - the turbo will have enough flex on the water/oil lines and exhaust that you can then tilt the head once you're off the dowels. If you have studs in the block.. well then you're better off removing the exhaust manifold and turbo first.

kumfasa

Thanks Phil,
Its good having someone in a different time zone. I get replies even late at night. Ill post some pics in the other thread once I get the head off.

fuel

yeah it's not for another few hours until the Americans wake up! Must be getting cold there now? I'm coming back in a couple months.. not really looking forward to leaving European summer for a New Zealand winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
NZ winter can't be that cold. Besides, does England even get summer? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fuel

it started snowing in the south in April, and where I'm from it is around -5C (20F) which is colder than it gets here in London that's for sure. I haven't really stuck around in London/England for a full summer so I can't really comment but London averages 25-30C (77-86F) with the highest recorded being 38C (100F) just a few years ago.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
OK, I'll give you that 20F is winter. That is a semi-mild winter day where I am from.

kumfasa

Quoting fuel:
yeah it's not for another few hours until the Americans wake up! Must be getting cold there now? I'm coming back in a couple months.. not really looking forward to leaving European summer for a New Zealand winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Winter is definitely here, cold unless your out of the wind and in the sun, and those spots are hard to find when its raining /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I chased the winters around the world for a while and even though the snow was great my first summer in 5 years was so so sweet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned