The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Having a hard time double flaring my brake lines

I am trying to repair a damage section of brake line with 3/16 inch steel lines from my local auto parts store. I have a double flare kit and believe that I am pretty good at it, but with all of the connections required to do such a small repair, the opportunity to leak is pretty big.....and leak it does.

My biggest question/suspicion are the unions themeselves. There are some brass unions at one auto parts store and some smaller silver steel unions at another. They are both sold in the brake section so I figure they should both be right but not sure.

Also, what are the fittings actually supposed to be like? Even when I get the fittings that come with the pre fabbed 8-12" lines, there are like 5 different types.

Are the male plugs supposed to be threaded to the end? I can double flare just fine...it's all of the conversions and crap that are screwing me over.

Any ideas?

Thanks

transparentdsm

ive used this click with a new brake line all the way to the end.

or

two of these click with this in the middle click with a new brake line to the end.

edit:

now for safety purposes i wouldn't do either on my vr4. i have done it on other cars that i still drive to this day, but with those two options failure is always a possibility and thats just something i wouldn't risk in my vr4 or if i had children or had to drive them around ever.

In all honesty i recommend a completely new brake line front to back, but its all up to you. and as for the fitting that come stock on the car, take one out and bring it with you to the auto store next time you go. there is no reason to second guess anything especially if you already have to take it apart.

now if your good at flaring then why dont you go to the store buy 25 feet of brake line click (its super flexable and easy to use now a days, unlike the old steel stuff your using) take the stock lines out, use the fitting from those lines and create a whole new brake line.

i hope i could help

Last edited:

Thanks bud...I went with the 2nd option and I am not doing too well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did this on my Caravan AWD in the past and had no issues. I must be slipping. I might put some pics up of what I have...this is driving me nuts.

I am getting prepared to tear it all down and start over.

So tempting buddy! I missed your edit. I am definitely getting fed up with this mess. Thanks for giving me some ideas.

transparentdsm

think of it this way, if you do it conservatively you could probably change out both the rear lines with the 25 feet. im assuming its the rear because well the front is like 14 inches long and not close to anything that rusts.

Heh, in my case, I was tired one morning and missed the frame rail, jacking it up by the fuel lines, carbon canister line, etc. instead.

The fuel supply line and carbon canister line didn't get hurt at all...just a tiny nick on them so I am leaving those alone. The return line and rear brake lines took the brunt of it. I repaired the return line in the same manner and never had any issues. I guess that might be because the brakes are under so much more pressure.

This is getting towards the rear but not all the way.

89Mirageman

Are the hard lines from a fwd 89-93 galant the same? I would just hit the local J/Y if so. Something tells me they're a little off though.

The thing is, for whatever reason, you will NEVER find a 6g Galant in any junkyard around here. Our junkyards are MASSIVE, but no chance in finding one whatsoever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

transparentdsm

Quoting 89Mirageman:
Are the hard lines from a fwd 89-93 galant the same? I would just hit the local J/Y if so. Something tells me they're a little off though.

yeah from the sound of it hes looking at a power steering line

transparentdsm

the way you explained where it was kinda sounds like its the return line for the power steering and i agreed with him. im def not saying it is a power steering line, just the way you phrased it sounded like it is the return line.

Gotcha, the PS lines are on the passenger side of the vehicle I believe. I am looking at the 5 lines on the driver's side.

kama1

Fwd lines are are way off from behind the drivers seat onwards.
Im about to tackle this also in the near future,im gonna go with replacing the whole line.
Biggest pain is dropping the subframes,wont hurt me as much since im technically jsb.

Finally got it done. Biggest thing I learned was making sure that the unions are small and that the male fittings on the threads hang out. This ensures that the male ends have bottomed out inside the union.

Thanks bud...the flaring was the easy part. The fittings....eh well that was a pain.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts