The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

H&R springs

flag24

Running AGX shocks. Bought a set of H&Rs. Used them for all of 2 months one sumer long ago. Didn't like the ride at all. Seemed to porpoise to much for me so I'd go with cutting the rears. I removed mine in anticipation the problems I would have with the coming winter snows. I've stuck with the stock springs.

KiNgMaRtY

I would not recommend cutting any coils in the front. There is more weight up front and far less coils. The guys doing the cutting on the coils are doing it in the rear

Romanova

I'm doing AGX and H&Rs on my ride... do I need to cut the bump stops at all?

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting Romanova:
I'm doing AGX and H&Rs on my ride... do I need to cut the bump stops at all?

I did but I am unsure if it's a requirement, this set up is so stiff I highly doubt I have ever touched the bumpstops in normal driving.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
Unless H&R changed the rear springs? Can those of you with the uncut and cut springs post a part number if possible? I know the H&R's that are on 802 are cut per prev owner and the ones on 611 who knows but I remember there being a bit of difference in how many coils. I will have to check next time I work on my buddies now 611

Was working on the the VR-4's this weekend. Notice one says EK which are on 802

Last edited:

MitsuDriver274

I'm running the agx h& r combo, love the ride. Did not cut the springs or bump stops.

I notice a bit of rake in mine, but the car seems to sit level with a full tank of gas.

Last edited:

PJGross

"take" = "rake"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mine is raked a lot with the H&R/AGX combo. I don't notice it at all, though. Hasn't sat on them in years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

gvr4ever

Waking up a old thread instead of starting a new one...

I just got TEIN H springs and AGXs on my Celica and I absolutely love the ride/look. H had a .08" drop instead of the more aggressive drop than the S springs.

Anyway, I want to give the Galant the same treatment. The reviews for the H&R springs and AGX combo seem to be a mixed bag. It sounds like H&R did change the part number at some point.

Does anyone have the current H&R springs with AGXs? Seems to be the only choice now without going coilovers.

gvr4ever

Quoting PJGross:
"take" = "rake"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Mine is raked a lot with the H&R/AGX combo. I don't notice it at all, though. Hasn't sat on them in years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

Could you please post a picture?

Are you still happy with the setup?

G

Staff member
Yes h&r changed. I forgot what happened. Bought out or changed factories. The newest versions are def different from the OG h&r's for our platform.

Tried to pm you but it says you are not a current user.

I also have a NIB set of zoom springs from japan. $300. These I can def look up the drop on them since it's printed on the box.

lmk.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

G, I some how missed your reply. I think the PM was not working for awhile, but I'm getting them now.

Already ordered H&R and AGXs. I'll post pics when installed.

I'm not planning on cutting anything. The rear might ride higher stock, but if anyone actually sits in the back... I bet it will level out.

PJGross

Funny I'm not on here in years and you asked me to take pics of a post from 2011! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The front is currently sitting on its own wheels and tires for the first time in a long time.
The rear is still up in air as I'm piecing together a cat-back at the moment.
Another few weeks and I could show a pic but sounds like you ordered and they may have changed the rears.

-PJ

G

Staff member
Aiiieee the agx are for a 1g dsm so they will sit funny. I am going to order a set of gvr4 specific kyb's from japan and try them on one of my galants with some h&r's. The new sr specials are available for our platforms >> click

gvr4ever

G, doesn't the springs determine ride high more than the struts/shocks? As far as the AGXs being made for DSMs, our cars are pretty close. 1G DSMs and EVO suspention swaps are popular enough. The car stock just rides too high and the suspension is too soft. If anything the AGX should work better with lower springs because the DSM sat lower. I've driven a Galant VR4 with AGXs on stock springs, and that was a upgrade. I can't really give a full opinion till I get mine installed.

Dan D

Spring perch on stock DSM rear shocks is slightly higher than the galant and thus is so on the DSM agx as well. Because the stock springs are soft enough and the front sits higher, it's not as noticeable with stock vs lowering springs. But when it was my setup, stock springs and AGX were raked too. Wheel gaps were big front and rear so the difference didn't stand out like with H&R but if you referenced the bottom of the car it was more clear.

bobdole

Quoting G:
Aiiieee the agx are for a 1g dsm so they will sit funny. I am going to order a set of gvr4 specific kyb's from japan and try them on one of my galants with some h&r's. The new sr specials are available for our platforms >> click

G my 92 RS has JDM GAB struts with H&R springs. I still had to cut the rear springs a little to level out. Lowered the front 25mm. Only lowered the rear 10mm. With cut rear spring I am 20mm rear.

gvr4ever

Here is a example I found with uncut springs. web page

The car has a rear rake stock. H&R clearly just kept it. Cutting springs changes the spring rate. While I don't have people in the back often, I'd hate to have the tank full, some stuff in the trunk, and a guest or two with cut springs. I'd be afraid of the back going too low with cut springs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts