The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4 transfer case swapable with gsx transfer case?

tkit213

hey guys, someone sold me a transfer case because i was told i needed one by someone else and i got it swapped out. then i took the car to a mechanic whos workin on my 72 celica and he said the transfer case has a different gear ratio than the stock gvr4.

i was wondering should i put the old one back in if it doesnt turn/spin as well as this one does because its stock?

what problems can be caused from a 1g gsx transfer case on the gvr4?

any help appreciated.

thanks.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1g and GVR4 transfer cases are the same ratio, but maybe he means the spline count. Some are 22 spline input, and some are 23. It needs to match.

tkit213

thanks ice man. if the spline count is the same itll fit, which leads me to believe the ratio is ok in both. someone was telling me that theyre different and its the same as the evo 3 and the gsx is different. idk i just dont want the damn thing to cause any more problems.

ktmrider

The Galant GSX does have a different gear ratio when equipped with an auto tranny.
I've never looked into the TEL cars close but now that you mention it doesn't the 4bolt rear end with an auto tranny require swapping the ring/pinion? Could be an auto vs 5spd thing.
Now the EVO1-7 were not brought here and do have a different ratio ( about 3.909 vs 3.545 IIRC ).

toybreaker

iconoclast
The possibilities are endless when dealing with used parts.

I've seen so many variations of iron/aluminum front cases and spline counts that I just verify everything, every time.

A valid test for ratios would be to make a mark on the input and output shafts, and then turn each 10 turns and see if the marks line up the same.

tkit213

thanks. ya its all 5speed. hmm. idk. hopefully this thing will stop breaking and let me enjoy just driving it.

tkit213

sorry bout the bringin back from dead but i was just told by someone who swapped the gsx transfer case and the gvr4 transfer case and said it worked for a little while but then it messed up. anyone else have experience with swappin in the gsx transfer case into the gvr4?

ktmrider

^^ tkit I would almost bet money they got an auto tranny TC with the different ratio than the 5spd ( or his rear end had an auto ring/pinion ).

Last edited:

4wheelsqueal

I'm with mike on that one. That's what they do when you put an auto TC in a 5 spd car.

tkit213

how can you tell if its from an auto or 5speed. i recall him telling me it was from a 5 speed but i can confirm. i found out the axle snapping from the spider gears, and my trading out the transfer case was because precaution and false info.

how can you tell if its from an auto or 5speed?

toybreaker

iconoclast
I thought the t-case from automatic transmission equipped cars has an extra long arm that would make mounting it to a manual transmission difficult. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4wheelsqueal

Oops! you're right. They blow up when you put a '97-'99 on a '96 or earlier car and vise versa. Auto's have that long arm and don't mount up right.

if you are talking about a 1g 5spd tcase it should be the same exact thing as long as it has the same number of splines. if you are talking about a Galant gsx then I do not know if it is going to work (meaning the right gearing), at the very least I think it would be weaker, but I could be wrong.

tkit213

ok cool. yeah im pretty sure the transfer case is good to go. BUT again i was told it will last only a short time. sooooo idk. i guess ill have to wait and see.

thanks again.

if anyone has more info later hit us up.

tkit213

ok so the galant is STILL out of commission. sigh. the shop i took it to is swapping in a newer trans from a 95+ eclipse awd and theyre having problems. i was told by someone you cant swap it in, but theyre telling me its bolting up and just waiting to see if a guy will swap for a transfer case with that year.

does anyone have any insight on this? anyone with a trans from a newer awd?

tkit213

i read up on the trans thing on the tech forum. from what i understand its an easy swap BUT the trans has an extra mounting spot not needed for the galant...

im unclear as to what would be the problem though. hmm.

4wheelsqueal

the 95' and newer cars have electronic speedo and the older have the cable driven setup. not sure how hard that is to swap. the 95 transfer case has the same ratio as the 1g 5spd transfer case. 97' and newer does not, ratio is different. hope this helps.

Last edited:

tkit213

thanks for the info. ya i dont know about the speedo cable...

and the trans if from a 95 i believe so it should be good to go.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts