The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

gvr4+DSMLINK

manikbastrd

had a question, hopefully you guys have an answer...
I have a socketed ecu w/ a keydiver chip in it, and purchased DSMlink for a 1G dsm... It appears that the chip and socketing does not match up...
I have not pulled the keydiver chip and attempted installation of the link EEPROM chip yet.
My question is will the link chip fit into the current socketing or will I have to get my ecu resocketed....
any input and advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Manik /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

Did you compare the pin-count between the two chips? I have always assumed that it would work and I plan on acting on that assumption at some point. I'm very interested to hear how this turns out.

conquesttsi

1g dsm link has a daughter board. If you have a complete dsm link setup it should plug in fine.

DSM link eprom chip plugs into the daughter board then that whole assembly plugs into your ecu where the keydiver chip is currently plugged in.

Sounds like a question for keydiver himself to answer. From other things I've read, I thought it was plug and play, not really sure though.

What version DSMLink?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My sockets are 100% compatible with DSMLink.

belize1334

This may be a difference between v2 and v3 which (as I understand it) incorporates more on-board memory.

strokin4dr

There is no difference in the socket for any version of link or for keydivers chips.

manikbastrd

Well I feel the fool...where do I get the flash module or daughter board as it is called does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

Dialcaliper

The v2 "chip" for 1G's/GVR4 is a full daughterboard. The v3 (ECMLink) chip is a single red chip with no extra board that should have the same pins and fit the same socket as your keydiver chip.

Which version did you buy?

Quoting belize1334:
This may be a difference between v2 and v3 which (as I understand it) incorporates more on-board memory.

cheekychimp

Quoting manikbastrd:
Well I feel the fool...where do I get the flash module or daughter board as it is called does anyone have one they are willing to part with?

Very unlikely! As you have found, the chip is somewhat useless without the daughter board. If you bought a legitimate setup it should come with the daughter board. If it did not, then sadly you have been ripped off and it is unlikely even the original vendors will sell you a daughter board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

You should probably post up some pictures of all the items that you have......that will probably help show some one what you're missing so they can point it out

manikbastrd

I contacted ecmlink, and my kit is legitimate. It is the v3 module, which through my contact with ECMlink, I have learned does not need a flash module or daughter board, they say it should fit and as long as the keydiver chip is the same socketing as the dsmlink EPROM is then I have nothing to worry about...all indications point to it should fit so I will try it out tomorrow. I will post up to let everyone know how it went. I was simply going from appearances which led me to believe the pin count and layout was different. I am an electronics technician in the navy so I have seen many different size of IC chips...like I said we shall see tomorrow. Thanks for all of the valuable input!!!
Manik

cheekychimp

In that case it seems highly likely that you will be OK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif When you insert the chip just be careful and use a small electrician's flat head screwdriver to ease any misaligned pins into their respective holes before you press the chip firmly home. If just one pin gets caught it can bend and snap or get so severely bent that bending it back straight can then snap it off. The same applies with removing the original chip. Ease it up gently at each end bit by bit to get it out without bending the pins in case you need to use it again later. But if you are a military electrician working on far more intricate stuff than the VR4 we have faith in you ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BoostedAWD91

What is the best way to remove a chip. Always seem to bend one of the pins no matter how careful I am

cheekychimp

It probably is not the recommended method but I always use a small flat head screwdriver and insert under the chip at either end and 'twist' just to raise it a little. Then I use progressively larger flat head screwdrivers until I can insert one pretty much to the middle underneath the chip. I find that twisting the flat head from the horizontal to the vertical gives the best control and that using this motion under the centre of the chip allows you to lift it straight up and out without bending any pins. The trick is being very patient and constantly switching ends until you can get the head of a screwdriver to the centre of the chip.

I do sympathize though. If you are only changing out a chip once a year after changing your setup it isn't hard to be patient but if you are troubleshooting, using different EPROMS, trying different ECUs etc, it can be a real PITA changing out chips and that is when you get over zealous and bend (or worse BREAK!) a pin. I have often wondered if there is a tool for this or if you could build one that would make removing chips simple and harmless.

If you need to frequently change chips, I think either Jeff or Terry can supply a "pressure less" socket that allows effortless removal of chips (the socket has an integral clip/clamp to hold the chip in place after you drop it in. It is slightly taller than a regular socket if I recall correctly but that is only an issue if you try to install it on the above mentioned "daughterboard" that comes with V2 of DSMLink, but I cannot see why you would want to do that. If you had DSMLink I would think you would just make changes through the software.

grocery_getter

Quoting cheekychimp:
In that case it seems highly likely that you will be OK. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif When you insert the chip just be careful and use a small electrician's flat head screwdriver to ease any misaligned pins into their respective holes before you press the chip firmly home. If just one pin gets caught it can bend and snap or get so severely bent that bending it back straight can then snap it off. The same applies with removing the original chip. Ease it up gently at each end bit by bit to get it out without bending the pins in case you need to use it again later. But if you are a military electrician working on far more intricate stuff than the VR4 we have faith in you ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I use a credit card. First I tilt the chip to line up/ partially insert the first row of pins into one side of the socket. The credit card has a very nice long, flat and stiff plastic edge I use to line up all the pins to their holes on the second row before pushing it down.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned