The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Gsx 4g63t swap -- 90 talon, manual, awd EPROM ECU & wiring harness -- HELP!

I bought a talon awd five speed motor trans and Tcase yesterday and the guy cut EVERYTHING to get the motor out of his car including the harness, so I'm buying a harness and ecu and was wondering if the guys who have done this swap before or anyone really who would know how I would go about wiring it all up could post up a good diagram (i can never find the right/good ones), or tell me how to do it Ide really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tektic

Everything really only fits one way. If you need pics Look in the manual. It's posted on this forum.

CutlassJim

If you are buying a harness there will be no wiring. Just lots of plugging things in.

^you would be correct wouldn't you be? I did not think of that, the connectors are obviously gonna be on the harness, haha.... But how hard is it gonna be to wire the harness to the ecu?.... What would I type In to find the manual?

donkeylips

You bought an engine bay wiring harness from a Galant VR4?
That should be plug and play.
Unless you bought one from a 1g TEL, which should have all of the connectors you need, but is different.

It's a harness and ecu from a 90 talon tsi, thoughts?.... Also the Maf sensor wire is cut from the harness, so... I can just solder some wires to the Maf and then to the connector right?

Come to think of it aren't there things I'm gonna have to modify on the harness, for example adding wires for the back door lights, and/or everything the galant has the talon doesn't? Even modding it for the things the talon has on the harness the galant doesn't B/C with my luck that will happen...

kama1

Your better off buying a galant vr4 harness.
My previous galant came with a dsm harness tapped in,its doable but a pita.
When i got my new vr4 i opted to get a galant vr4 harness.
Ask around maybe somebody has one laying around.

Ok, if I get the vr4 wiring harness can I still use the talon ecu? Either way if I get a vr4 wiring harness it will be the easiest way?

James

Yes you can use the dsm ECU

tektic

Look for the diagram in theService Manual

All you need that the stock harness doesn't have is resistors on the fuel injector lines, extra wire for the maf, and the shielded wires for the knock sensor.

Look at the dsm vfaq for n/t to turbo conversion or any of the 100s of other posts this general question has been asked in.

Looks like the only harness' I need are the engine harness and the engine bay harness

donkeylips

Don't forget that the 1990 model year had many different parts. This is definitely true for the DSM, and I believe its also true for the Galants.
Personally I avoid '90 parts like the plague. To me, the wiring harness is useless. Some of the connectors are different. The CAS, fuel rail, ECU, speedometer, tachometer, throttle body, shifter, transmission, and some other parts are different.

The 91-94 DSM ECUs work interchangeably with the GVR4 ECU.
If you want to use a '90 ECU with a 91-94 wiring harness or vice versa, you need to switch two pins on the wiring harness.

You shouldn't have to modify the body harness. Just the engine bay harness.

I think the '91-'94 DSM harness should have all of the connectors that the GVR4 harness has, but it is definitely different, and won't work in your car without completely re-doing it.

James

Didn't realize he said '90. That's a bust!

97TsiAwd

The harness does have provisions for injector resistor box. They all do if they are turbo so I'm not sure where that came from. But with a 90 it should be just swapping the two wires like stated before and roll on.

CutlassJim

I've got an engine harness from a 91 Galant VR-4 I'd sell you to make you life easier. PM me if you are interested.

You can use the DSM ECU it just has to be swapped into the Galant case. The DSM ECU mounts in the center console under the radio and in a Galant goes up under the passanger side dash.

acidrumz

Since you will be swapping in a 90 motor, it will be logically correct to use a 90 engine harness and ecu. you may have to extend or cut some wiring to suit the gvr4 chasis.

Likewise a 91-94 motor with same year engine/ecu wiring harness. A specfic gvr4 wiring harness will be great for this situation.
That said it just makes electrical connections easier.

As mentioned above, 90 differs from 91-94 regarding electrical connectors but it can be made to work depending upon which parts you have sourced from or on hand.

Hope that helps.

Wizardawd

Best option is of course a gvr4 harness, 2nd best is a 91-94 harness. A 91-94 will require that you get the 91-94 module, coil pack and TB. A 90 ECU can easily be made to work in a 91-94 harness.

I have dealt with a 90 harness also in a 91 car and as was mentioned, stuff would never seem to work right without swapping EVERYTHING. Speedo, senders, coil pack, throttle body, etc. PITA.

Wiz

Last edited:

92GVR4num65

Hate to bump an old thread but it kinda pertains to my issue. I have a 92 gvr4 and purchased a complete 4g out of a 90 Eclipse GST. I was wondering, since the engine in the gvr4 is junk, if i could build the block/head from the GST and swap all the gvr4 sensors onto it and plug n play the thing? Are there any major differences between theo two blocks/heads from, lets say, the 90 to a 92 6 bolt i should be aware of?

tektic

That shoud be fine. Just use the block and head. Almost all the other parts are different. Find a list of differences and compare.

Internaly though the only difference is cams.

Make sure you label all the bolts for everything. That was the hardest part of my swap. Finding the correct hardware for everything.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts