The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Grrr! Broken 2 prong connecter on top of thermostat assembly

I noticed that the plastic connector [2 prong] on top of the thermostat assembly has a broken wire, and the other wire is hanging on by a couple of threads,

connector1.jpg

connector2.jpg

I managed to pull the pins from the connector, and wanted to know where I could get NEW pin connectors and start over with new pins and fresh wire.......

connector3.jpg

JNR

I ended up using two small, insulated spade connectors (that fit snug on the terminals) and butt-splicing onto the factory connector, until I get a replacement. Just make note which wire goes to which terminal, to not mix them up (may not matter on this, but still)...Not the best way (I want to get an oem replacement and eliminate the butt splices], but works for now...

Thanks JNR.. Imight go that route too!!

But I'm sure someone has sourced some replacement connectors!!!

JNR

No doubt.

Well, your plastic housing is in good shape (I think mine was cracked, iirc), so if you're tricky, you could undo the factory crimp on those spades and put in the wire (oem, if you have enough slack) and re-crimp...as you're probably aware, since you took them out, they have little barbs (or maybe it's those black, notched 'sleeves' in this case) that snap into place...This is the way I would've done it, if my housing was alright...

Another option is to look at an AMP catalog (or similar), as most oem's use various styles like that, although many of them are proprietary, for obvious reasons...

Last edited:

Yeah, there was a plastic locking lip that just needed to be pressed downwards while I pulled on the wire and the connector slid out of the plastic housing!!

I'll check online under "mini spade" conntectors.

Last edited by a moderator:

strokin4dr

Iceman may be able to help you out. He has a source for certain pins for making adapters. Send him a PM.

CP

If it uses the same pins as the ECU plugs, I can send you several of those.

atc250r

Staff member
Does your AC work? If it doesn't then you don't need that anyway. In fact, you might not need it anyway. I think its just to turn the AC off under an overheat condition. I could be wrong but I think that's what its for. You can carefully disassemble the spades and solder new wires to them. I rebuilt my CAS plug like that.

John

ktmrider

^^ +1 to John, that is only relevant to the A/C ( cuts off A/C clutch if coolant is overheating ).
No A/C = no need.

Last edited:

Rausch

I'm hoping he does still have A/C, and it still works. He might actually be one of the few that needs that connection to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I did the same fix (Little spade connectors/soldered) before I yanked out the A/C parts.

JNR

Well, my A/C still blows cold and want to keep it that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and I hate mickey mouse stuff; especially electrical, so I would love to hear if somebody can get the oem housing and connectors...The second option is to cut a pigtail off another harness, but rather not even do that, unless I can get a long length to play with...

Quoting VRausch4:
I'm hoping he does still have A/C, and it still works. He might actually be one of the few that needs that connection to work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I did the same fix (Little spade connectors/soldered) before I yanked out the A/C parts.

It gets to be about 135 degrees out here at the height of the summer. So yes, I'll definitley need it.

Quoting CP:
If it uses the same pins as the ECU plugs, I can send you several of those.

you have PM !!!!!!!

Polish

I also did the insulated spade connector trick on some of mine, worked perfect for me.

CO VR4

A Mitsubishi dealer tech friend of mine told me that Mitsu dealers have available a replacement kit that has all of the female connectors with wire pigtails, and they can get you whichever one they need with some help from the friendly parts counter guy...

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have a few of the connector bodies that will work for that plug, but no pins. I resoldered mine onto the original pins when I fixed it.

If someone knows where to get those pins, that would be great. IIRC, I did not have the right size in my selection.

dmj

go to the junk yard and look for any hyundai with the 2.0 engine u will get a connector that is a direct fit.it is in the same position as the gvr4.I located one on a 1997 model sonata 2.0 i also took the valve cover.

CP

Quoting iceman69510:
If someone knows where to get those pins, that would be great. IIRC, I did not have the right size in my selection.

Are they the same size/type of lins that are in the plugs that connect to the ECU? If so I've offered to send him several. We just need to verify that the ECU pins will work for this application.

Rausch

Quoting dmj:
go to the junk yard and look for any hyundai with the 2.0 engine u will get a connector that is a direct fit.it is in the same position as the gvr4.I located one on a 1997 model sonata 2.0 i also took the valve cover.

5th Fleet Naval NSA, Bahrain |......Probably not going ot have much luck there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts