The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got the car with ridiculous positive camber on the front.

veganbutcher

Front wheels have some ridiculous positive camber, I got the car with snow tires on it and the outside edges of them are very worn while the inside edge is only somewhat worn. However on the back it's the opposite, very worn inside edges while the outside edge is only somewhat worn.

Anyone else have their car come like this? I'm hesitant to replace the tires without correcting this issue first.

I know the car has recently had the front axle shafts replaced if that helps at all.

Last edited:

prove_it

Possibly slotted/cam bolts front struts that never got aligned. I would have an alignment done to see where your really at. Rear camber is factory adjustable.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

If had had adjustment bolts added to one or both locations in the front (read; lower strut bolts) swapping axles could well have thrown things out of whack. the stock bolt however, gives no camber adjustment.

Rear has an adjustment on the inside of the upper arm. if the car is lowered the stock adjusters may not have enough to correct the issue.

honestly you need to get her on an alignment rack & see what you're dealing with.

Note; there are very specific procedures they must use to properly align the rear if you still have 4WS.

veganbutcher

Sounds like I need an alignment, I didn't know the rears were factory adjustable.

Last edited:

Barnes

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
Note; there are very specific procedures they must use to properly align the rear if you still have 4WS.

Like what? I've never heard anyone say they had trouble getting a normal alignment. When the car is rolled on the alignment rack the rear steering is not energized because you are moving so slowly. Therefor it should pretty much be sitting straight. I would also think that any adjustments would not be impaired by the AWS. Am I missing something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

To the original poster:

1)How do you know you have high positive camber? If you took it to an alignment shop, post up the results.

2)Do you have any suspension mods?

Often inner or outer tire wear is due to incorrect toe which is directly caused by lowering the car below stock, and not getting it aligned.

bobdole

There is a specific procedures for the rear. To align the rear correctly you need to remove the steering rack bolts. Align the car and then reattach the steering rack.

Last edited:

SouthCaliVR4

as stated above, rear rack tie rods are removed prior to toe set, Then adjusted so they just drop in & you then must verify toe set did not alter after reinstall of tie rods. it's a pain in the ass.

marvinmadman

Correct. But its not a pita. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

veganbutcher

Quote:

1)How do you know you have high positive camber? If you took it to an alignment shop, post up the results.

2)Do you have any suspension mods?

1) The wheel sticks out on the top more than it does the bottom.

2) I don't believe so, I purchased the car mostly stock from a grandpa. If any suspension components were changed they were more than likely replaced with OEM spec products.

460GVR4

Go get a full allignment and new tires, drive down to Tacoma here and help me get mine back on the road!

cheekychimp

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:

Quoting Barnes:
Like what? I've never heard anyone say they had trouble getting a normal alignment. When the car is rolled on the alignment rack the rear steering is not energized because you are moving so slowly. Therefor it should pretty much be sitting straight. I would also think that any adjustments would not be impaired by the AWS. Am I missing something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Noob! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

You do have a valid point though. OP, you don't have EVO struts that haven't been properly modified do you? When I first put EVO struts on my car in the UK I had ridiculous positive camber too!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I had a rear alignment issue on 855 when the shop did it. They pulled the rear steer tie rod ends when they did the alignment (they grumbled, but the price for 4 wheel alignment is the price for 4 wheel alignment, right?), but when they put them back they did not adjust them. The pre-load caused toe out, which wore my tires quickly. Next time I will take it there already disconnected, and connect them myself back home.

transparentdsm

you can't do it at home because you need to adjust the camber and toe with them off, then reattach the rear steering tie rod ends, then adjust the tie rod ends to match the camber and toe of them from when they were off. basically they need to align your rear end 2 times.

prove_it

You do it that way if you don't reinstall the 4ws tie rods the right way.

transparentdsm

read what number 4 says.

unless he has a magical way to read what his toe-in readings are after he reinstalls the tie rod ends the shop would have to do it, or he could align the car himself.

marvinmadman

The "magic" involves adjusting the tie rods to fall in without any effort. It's real easy. I've ran an alignment machine for a few years. One would be a fool to do it any other way...

transparentdsm

^ if youve ran an alignment shop for years and when its on the machine you choose to just drop them in, thats fine, because its on the machine and everything is set, but he will be driving it around and then parking it, things can change and it may be close, but not as accurate as if you were to have it done on the machine properly like your paying the shop to do it.

im not sure on this but if the tierods arent connected then the back wheel will do whatever they want to do becuase nothing is stopping them? right..

Last edited:

veganbutcher

Quoting transparentdsm:

read what number 4 says.

unless he has a magical way to read what his toe-in readings are after he reinstalls the tie rod ends the shop would have to do it, or he could align the car himself.

Definitely taking it to a shop to have this done. I wonder if it would be rude to print out that bulletin and give it to them first. But it wouldn't hurt, I've been to some bad mechanics.

transparentdsm

^ its better to be safe then sorry and buying new tires in 7000 miles. and if the shop you go to wont do it the way you want bring it to another place. someone will do it the right way. and if you really feel uncomfortable with the mechanic find a place that will allow you to watch them do the work. my father and i used to allow it at our shop.

AnotherNewb

Quoting transparentdsm:

im not sure on this but if the tierods arent connected then the back wheel will do whatever they want to do becuase nothing is stopping them? right..

Nope, it just becomes a DSM with active rear toe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned