The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Good to be on board

Hello to everyone. I'm new to owning a GVR4, but not to the mechanic scene. It's been about four years since I've owned a car or anything with four wheels for that matter. About two months ago, I sold my TL1000R and decided on a VR4. Mostly in part to my best pal Colin (SleepyVR4). I remembered us turning wrenches on his 91 belieze green, amongst all of our other cars, and thought of the fun we had, and what a unique vehicle it was. Long story short, I found one in Atlanta (1508/2000) and trailered it home.

Summit White, 147K, 5-Lug, suspension, wheels/tires, fresh rebuild with docs, Link V2, GM MAF with Translator, Crower 272s, FMIC, RC 750's, polished intake, full 3 in. exhaust (no cat or muffler) gauge pod, NT water pipe, and quite a few other mods were already done. (Still working on the list) I told myself I'd never buy a modded car, but given my location, modifications done, documentation on the mods, and the purchase price, I didn't want to pass it up. These were mods that I would have eventually done anyway. The car was in severe need of a tune with a laundry list of other problems both mechanical and cosmetic. The interior is a 9/10 and the exterior is about a 7. The hood had been cut up to make a custom hood scoop after (previous owners words: "one too many margaritas"), so I'm not sure what I'll be doing with that. Hopefully I'll be able to find a summit white JDM hood, or get the one I have done professionally and inexpensively at a local body shop.

Of course the first thing I did was put the car up on jack stands and went to work. Compression was checked first thing at 170 across the board, which makes me happy. I like having even compression. I always get nervous when I do a comp. check, and I don't know why. Gives me the butterlies in my stomach for lack of a better idiom. For some reason, I love having my cars torn into thousands of pieces and then putting it back together, better and faster than it was, and I don't know why. In the three weeks or so of work I've done some of the more common and inexpensive mods: ECU recapped; 4WS removal; Pulled the rear subframe to block of the 4WS pump on the diff. and get rid of lines (Looking for a 4bolt), cleaned and painted the subframe, caliper brackets, calipers; Siliconed the driveshaft (nobody likes wub-wubs); PS removal; Cruise Control Elim; Battery Relocation; Conditioned the Seats; Interior Cleansing; and a bunch of other little stuff in between and other stuff I've already forgotten about.

On to what still needs done in general: ABS has to go, special thanks again to clipse90gsx for the smooth transaction on the P-Valve. Now I just need to Fab up some hard lines and get some steel braided lines and that'll be done. (Anybody looking to sell some steel braided lines?) Need to get to Lowes so I can window weld the mounts. Also, I'm in the market for a GVR4 AC belt tensioner bracket. One came with the car, but it must be from a 1G, because it doesn't fit the GVR compressor bracket. If anyone has one laying around that's for sale or for donation, please let me know. By the way, if I had a sunroof, the AC would be gone too, just gets too damn hot here to be without it. Also looking for a NT throttle cable. I guess I'd just like to modify the car to my liking before I even get to driving it, just to avoid the headaches that Colin and I'm sure so many of you have had with these neat cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Speaking of headaches, the car came with a 13g on it. Weird. The previous owner said he sold the bigger turbo buy other parts and got the 13g for free... That needs to change quickly, as I'd like to get a 14b and get back to normalville before I start going crazy.

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of stuff, but this post is getting a little long. If there are any other mods, recommendations, ideas, questions, or parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif that anybody has for me, I'm all ears. I'm a little OCD with my cars, and I'm sure you all have valuable input, so thanks in advance. On a side note, I'm pretty sure 4GPerformace in ATL owned the car before the guy I bought it from, but I'm not sure. If anybody here knows any history, I'd love some background info or any other details!

I am a noob to owning a 4G63, and there are a lot of parts and mods already done to this car, that I'm not 100% sure on. Had it been stock when I got it, I'd have a better foundation and understanding of what was originally on the car, aside from my limited experience years ago with Colin's. So if I ask what might seem to be a really stupid question, just bear with me and try not to call me an idiot too much. hehehe. Anyhow, I'm sure I'll get some input from all of you guys, and I'm grateful to have such an awesome resource for info, parts and comeraderie. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

-Adam-

SmoothCustomer

Welcome aboard. Man, the other noobs could REALLY learn a thing or two from you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

+1 & welcome. Grammar is good, spelling is good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Lonewolf64

Great to have you on board. It looks like you are well on your way to having a very nice vr4. If I were you, I'd skip getting a 14b altogether, and pick up either a new (or slightly used) Evo 3 16g. It has almost the same spool characteristics as the 14b, but provides a nice boost in power.

Good to be here. Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping it'll turn out as nice as I'd like. I've been kinda toying with the idea of a 16g, but I'm looking to keep the price down and max out a 14b's capabilities first. Kinda lame, I know, but I'm curious to feel the difference between the two. A lot of guys have gone that route, and that makes a 14b a little easier to come by and a little bit more affordable. From what I've seen the 16g used will fetch around 275-300 shipped while a 14b is right around 100-125. Then again, with as many mods that are already on the car, I should just save up and get a FP mani and a green turb and then who cares about the difference. Just call it a day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Lonewolf64

Maxing our the stock turbo is a really great idea. That was my original plan as well, until the stocker gave its last breath at 160k miles. At that point I was really lucky and got a great deal from a friend. I got HKS 264/264 cams and a 1000 mile old E3 16g both for $500 dollars. I think my turbo had been dying for a long time because it felt like the car picked up about 70whp with no other changes.

It sounds like you've got it together though. Don't hesitate to ask questions, but remember that there is a huge database here already, so the search button more often than not can help you as well.

Welcome. No trouble for you from the grammar Nazi's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

Read up on the sorry if I.. thread, then you'll get the inside jokes. Glad you joined us!

Nartanian

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
And he used paragraphs.

Who are's paragraphs?... Anyways welcome. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Post some pics up when you can /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Quoting Dbossman:
Welcome. No trouble for you from the grammar Nazi's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

WTF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Thanks for showing us up NEWER newbie! Na just playing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Welcome and keep up the good grammar!!!

prove_it

Yea now what are you going to do wop? You can't vent here.

Terry will make a new user, with bad grammar, so mercy can be shed on us all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Quoting prove_it:
Yea now what are you going to do wop? You can't vent here.

He can just go to one of my post and I'm sure he can find something to vent about there.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

sleepyvr4

Study the How To/Info archive for the next 3 months before making your next post sonny boy...

J/k Ninja - glad you're posting. Hit me up of you need anything...

Study the How To/Info archive for the next 3 months before making your next post sonny boy...

J/k Ninja - glad you're posting. Hit me up of you need anything...

Thanks Colin. I've been reading so much on this stuff that my eyes have become squares. Good thing I can leave the computer and turn a wrench to give them a rest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts