The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Going back to a single disk clutch

Terry Posten

That is also why I had Chrs Beran build a 4-spider over spending the cash. I have no plans to do anything more that spirited street driving.

curtis

Quoting turbowop:

*edit*

Looks like I got a sweet new signature due to this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Just cause I don't post much anymore doesn't mean I'm not still paying attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

beaner

Heavy cars have heavy flywheels for a reason. For over 10 years I've used a 2600 and stock flywheel. Forever ago I tried a RRE lightened flywheel and even that bothered me. It just seemed like pure trade off.

Two years ago I needed a new disc for my 2600. This is around the time when all the ACT problem threads were popping up with springs breaking and pp 'fingers' hitting them. I think ACT slightly revised the design and screwed up everything. I went with a Southbend kevlar street disc and it's totally fine.

At the same time I swapped in a trans with a welded center diff. I f***ing hate it. Worst mod ever for a street car. The tires bind on every slow turn. The learning curve sucks. Trying to drive through a parking lot you look like a fool who can't drive. Revving higher, chirping tires, getting that clutch engagement spot perfect so it doesn't stall. Ever want to push your car in/out of the garage? Nope, wheels are bound up. If I wasn't so sick of pulling my trans out it would be long gone.

turbowop

I'm hoping to maybe hit the track a couple times a year, for special events. We'll see. Definitely not ever gonna be an every weekend thing again. I think from '02-'05 I was there racing every time the track was open along with Brian and all of our other friends. The stack of timeslips I collected is ridiculous.

Galantvr4559

I have a jax stage 2 with a 4 spider center diff and a unsprung 4 puck act with a 2300 lb pp and it takes a little getting used to but its nice to have the cluch If i wanted to stop by the track on the way home from work. Nice pedal as well a little heavier than stock. Unsprung is better than sprung. I have had luck with the dual friction centerforce clutch and xtd stg 4.

cheekychimp

Mark,

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with this setup. I've spoken to Tim a number of times by email. I know a number of people have allegedly used the ceramic/kevlar disks with the CFDF pressure plates with good results but Tim had no knowledge of it and couldn't recommend it. He did suggest the setup you are going to however so I'd be very interested to hear how it feels, particularly pedal pressure. Apart from the difficulty of slipping a twin disk, it was the weight of my one which annoyed me in traffic.

The RPS Carbon/Carbon clutch is the only twin disk I found to be really driveable. Expensive but very nice. I'm seriously thinking about doing the accumulator mod on that one and I think it might feel almost like a single. For the daily however I'm sticking firmly with a single. My OEM seems to be holding up at present and I still have a CFDF to swap in when that goes. If that won't hold the EVO III 16G I might well consider either that disk you are using with the CFDF pressure plate or go straight to your combo. I don't think I should need that much clutch for my car though, I want something light and I'm hoping the CFDC will be enough.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Brianawd

I wish you could still get the Xclutch from RRE. That used the center force PP and the old style ACT Disc. The car would dam near launch its self. You could just bring the rpms up on the studder box and dump the clutch. It would slip its self perfect. I cut my fastest 60ft with that clutch of a 1.61

Barnes

I'm in support of this mod. Granted I have no idea how different it would be with the 2g accumulator,etc but I suspect some of the things about it that bugged me would still remain. When riding in your car the twin disc and the way it behaved was a big turn off for me. I think it will make the car a lot more fun and drive-able.

Nartanian

Quoting curtis:
Quoting turbowop:

*edit*

Looks like I got a sweet new signature due to this thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Just cause I don't post much anymore doesn't mean I'm not still paying attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I knew someone changed my sig too! I tried changing it back too but that didn't fly apparently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

4thStroke

There is still an issue with daily driving the twin disc, even if you use the 2 slave and accumulator. They do not like daily use in general. My twin floater plate and v-drive pressure plate ended up warping on me once I made ~560awhp again. The car completely blew through the clutch that was relatively fresh when I put it in, but had ~10k of daily use with maybe a dozen launches on it. This was with plenty of life left on the TMZ gear drive friction discs.

I ended up going back with the ACT 2600 sprung 6 that held up to my 560awhp in the past and is still doing fine for daily use at 440awhp. I would have loved to try a SBC setup, but I was in a time crunch and there was an ACT on the shelf.

Mark, I still think the stalling issue was tune related. With my twin disc and no FIAV, I never had a stalling issue. Time to get with the times and buy ECMLink. I'll even point you in the right direction setting it up. Glad you took my advice on the clutch thing, btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

thecman02

I've been running the SBC Kevlar/FERAMIC with HD pressure plate for a couple years. It does drive really nice, but I've been having issues with it slipping occasionally when I turn up the boost. This is at a estimated torque of ~450ftlbs. I've been looking really hard into getting into a twin disk.

Oh I should say the pedal pressure was identical to stock with the SBC.

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:

Mark, I still think the stalling issue was tune related. With my twin disc and no FIAV, I never had a stalling issue. Time to get with the times and buy ECMLink. I'll even point you in the right direction setting it up. Glad you took my advice on the clutch thing, btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The tune is/was awesome before the twin, with no stalling issues. I think ECMlink just has more options to help with the low inertia of the clutch setup. I can only do so much with an EPROM and Maftpro. It doesn't stall all the time, just every once in awhile, and mostly when the car is still cold. I'll go to Link soon, but after spending so much on new wheels and tires and clutch and five lug swap, I need to stop hemorrhaging money for a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I'll let you know when I make the switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting thecman02:
I've been looking really hard into getting into a twin disk.

I've got one for sale if you're interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scott Y

Another report for how awesome Mr. Zimmer is. He dealt with countless emails/phone calls/IMs when I was searching for a clutch and then settled on the SS-X based on his recommendation.

When I first got the SS-X and the kevlar disk it was good. The car is probably around the 400hp mark, runs low 12s. The clutch was super smooth and quiet, best engagmenet I'd felt in a DSM. The next time at the track a few weeks later, on the 3rd pass it started to slip bad. The disk was never able to hold power again, even after treating it nice to allow it to 're-bed' itself, so i pulled it for the dual material disk and haven't been back to the track yet. On the street the new disk is fine, but not as silky smooth in engagement as the kevlar disk was. I even sent the PP to Southbend so they could test it to see if maybe the clamping was weak and it tested nicely in spec; the Kevlar disk didn't work for my combo and style. I'd say I'm more of a 'slipper' than a 'dumper' as my 60' times would attest.

I put a lot of easy miles on the Kevlar disk before tracking it. It was so smooth that it broke my heart a bit when I knew I couldn't use it any more.

I had a 2600+organic disk for years before the SS-X, and that thing handled back-to-back passes all night, for 3 seasons of test-n-tune play racing and dorking around on the street. If the Southbend doesn't work out, I'm heading straight back to ACT.

I look forward to hearing your results; if I can get the car running right on ECM v3 I'll be heading to the track as well and can report in.

turbowop

And out she comes:

I already have an interested buyer, but if that falls through, I'll post this in the forsale section. It's in amazing shape.

I'm still waiting on my new ACT flywheel to show up on Tuesday, so the car is on JSB duty until sometime this week.

thecman02

We need pics of the whole car on jackstands :)

Brianawd

Quote:
The tune is/was awesome before the twin, with no stalling issues

You have to retune for the twin. Just like any other part. So no your tune was not perfect.

turbowop

I played with it as much as I could having only an eprom and Maftpro to work with. Bumped idle speed to 1000rpm via eprom and had Keydiver add in some code he said would help with the issue. It didn't do it very often, like I said.

Anyway, it won't matter now since the car will have a single disk. That, and ECMlink is on the way. I'm gonna get a rough tune and drive it down to Lucas to have hime tune the meth maps on the dyno. Maybe I'll finally get some dyno numbers off this bish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noes.gif

Brianawd

about f***ing time you put link on that POS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Hey, cut me some slack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Maftpro was the only good option at the time for speed density without goin to a full standalone, and worked well with the meth kit. This was back in '06. I think Spencer was still in grade school. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts