The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Glove Box issue

3O3EL0VR4

I know this is going to probably sound like the stupidest thing you have ever heard, but here it goes. I locked the glove box with the key I have for the ignition (works on trunk and gas door as well). Not having any question of being able to unlock it, I shut the glove box. Now I cannot for the life of me get it unlocked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I sat in the passenger seat for 2 hours (until my fingers felt like they were about to begin blistering) with both the keys I have trying to unlock it with no success. Anyone have any ideas about what could possibly cause this, besides just an absolutely worn down key, or any ideas on how to get it unlocked? I called Mitsubishi and they don't have any kind of master key set for the VR4's and they want $20 to cut a new one from my VIN. Please let me know this is really embarrassing. Thank God I was smart enough to leave registration and insurance in the middle console haha!

Lucas03ES

Same thing happened to me. I locked my glove box and it wouldn't open at all. I tried getting a new key cut from the old worn down one at a hardware store, it worked but it wasn't close enough to unlock it. I ended up having the dealership do it for me, and when I put it in the glovebox it unlocked right away. Good luck

3O3EL0VR4

Thank you for info. I figured someone would have had a similar experience. I had intended on going to get a key from the dealer tomorrow just to be sure I have a dealer cut one.
Do you happen to know if there is a valet key or something? Maybe the one I have is? I don't know...
Either way I'm going to the dealer in the morning. Thanks again.

3O3EL0VR4

So I went to the dealer cut the key from the VIN for only $13 with the good ol' DSM discount. The thing works flawlessly not only on the glove box but every other lock on the car. It is a little rough going in and out but once its all the way in it turns without any problems. I'm so glad I did this

Lucas03ES

Yeah sorry for the late response but I do believe that there is a valet key. The dealer told me the key I was using could be one, and they charged me to look up the code from my VIN, which was the same code that was stamped on my original key. There might be a valet key, but im not 100% on it. Also, the locks might be a little finicky with the new key, but after some use, the mechanisms will work with the new key better.

gramkrakr89

The original valet key for 689 will not even lock the glovebox, so maybe your key was the original, just too worn unlock the rarely-moved pins in the glove-box lock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Just a thought.

I'm wondering this because the only "original" keys I have are a hardware-store copy (the original is gone) and the original valet key - the valet key only works in the door and ignition, and the copy works everything... sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, glad to hear that all went well. Exactly how much did everything come to? - I'll be needing a new set of keys for 689 once she's back in DD'ing order, so I'm interested.

3O3EL0VR4

I'll have to look at the invoice again but it came out to be $13 and some change total. I'm even thinking of getting another one it works so good. The other one I was using was very temperamental. You can tell it is really worn.

3O3EL0VR4

I can go to Mitsubishi and purchase another blank for you. If you would like? You would still need to get it cut by the VIN. If this is something you would like to do, PM me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts