The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

galant vr4 RS

fuel

Quoting GSXCONVERT:
the RS engines have a small 16g. how do i know? i have a RS engine in my garage with the yellow injectors and red valve cover.

Pre-facelift and non-evolution facelift JDM VR-4 RS will have a 14B turbo. The evolution RS (and all other evolution models not including the RS) will have the big 16G. How do I know they have a big 16G? Because I own one and it's always had the original engine since new, and it has the 49178 01420 turbo.

fuel

Quoting conquesttsi:
Older Evo III b16g's had a 6cm housing. They now have 7 cm housings.

No, all Evolution VR-4, Lancer Evo1,2 and 3 had 7cm housings. I can show you part numbers in CAPS/ASA if you like.

fuel

Quoting conquesttsi:
Hey Phil, Did that plan to have Every Evo generation at the 4 cyl & Rotary nationals ever pan out? If so, got Pics?

Nah it didn't. Half the people didn't even turn up, including me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The guy organising it was kind of a douche and was going to make the display look gay.

fuel

7cm as they are on some Evo1s (though most Evo1s tend to have the big16g), and I gather some DSM turbos run small 16gs too?

cheekychimp

So if I wanted to build a like new Small 16G, my best bet would be to get a new or very good condition EVO III 16G housing which is lighter and change the wheels over?

conquesttsi

fleabay super 16g gt or whatever it's called is already milled to spec of a ported 7cm housing. You could use the housing of that. I bought my vr4 with an Ebay turbo on there and in 2 years I have not had one problem. That being said...I have an MHI turbo waiting to go on as we speak, so take that with a grain of salt.

Phil, sorry It didn't work out. It would have been really cool to have a pic of that line up.

Last edited:

fuel

Quoting cheekychimp:
So if I wanted to build a like new Small 16G, my best bet would be to get a new or very good condition EVO III 16G housing which is lighter and change the wheels over?

Why a small 16G specifically? A big 16g is no different apart from a fraction larger compressor wheel which makes negligible difference in spool, but a big enough difference in air-flow/power.

cheekychimp

I was under the impression that the faster spool up on the small 16G was noticeable, even if not hugely significant. For the daily it just seemed like a good sized turbo. I guess specifically since there is a lot of controversy over this particular point I wanted to try both turbos so that I could see for myself. I guess the answer is simply to bolt on a small 16G that is in good shape and try it out before going to the expense of rebuilding anything!

fuel

if you wanted faster spool I would perhaps look at a TD04HL but with a 16T (slightly larger than 16G) wheel from a Volvo 5cyl turbo (850, S60 etc). With a TD05 hotside and 7cm housing, the difference in spool between a small 16G and a big 16G would perhaps be 100-200rpms, if that. When I went from my factory big 16G to a 20G compressor/ported housing and 7deg clip turbine with factory 7cm exhaust housing, high flow down pipe but otherwise stock rest of exhaust system the difference in spool was perhaps 200-300rpms but it could hold much more boost at 6000-7000rpms without tapering off.

cheekychimp

Thanks for taking the time to write that. It's always good to have options to look into. The problem with choosing turbos for genuine daily drivers is that you really need to get one, put it on the car and drive it for several months to get a feel for how it works in all the conditions that you drive in. Just driving the 3.545 transmission on the highway, I would never have considered needing to change it but after a few months taking my son to school over the steep inclines stuck behind construction trucks it became a real pain in the backside.

I very rarely get to spend much time at 6000-7000 rpms so I doubt I would consider moving up to something like a 20G over here unless it was in a true twin scroll setup (and that idea still intrigues me!). So tell me more about these Volvo turbos. I thought those were T3 compressor housings. Could I maybe mount one of those to my HKS manifold? And what about the exhaust side, how does that mount with an O2 housing and down pipe?

fuel

No problems. I too like the idea of having an early spooling turbo but you always get a trade off of boost tapering off quite high. The only reason I went to a 20G was because my 16G wheel lunched itself and it was going to be just as cheap to source a 20G wheel and matched compressor housing than buying another 16G wheel from Mitsubishi or finding a second hand 16G turbo to put in its place. Both my old Volvo 850 R and Golf GTi both spooled up very early but suffered even in the higher mid-range as a result. Volvos definitely run Mitsubishi turbos but the compressor and exhaust housings are nothing like typical Mitsubishi units (much like the Mitsubishi turbos on Subarus). You should be able to use the Volvo TD04H-16T core in a JDM Mitsubishi RVR TD04HL exhaust housing with perhaps the Volvo compressor housing with custom wastegate mounting.

I find even with my 3.909 ratios mine bogs down and you have to use the gears to get up in the rpm's to get anywhere. In most my cars I'm used to shifting into top gear around 35-40mph but the VR-4 just doesn't like being in 5th until at least 40mph otherwise it shakes like mad.

cheekychimp

Yeah I can see your point. Whilst I don't get much opportunity to explore the higher rpms in high gear it can be annoying when you run out of power as you are accelerating hard in low gears as well. I still think a true twin scroll setup might prove very interesting. Aaron suggested asking one of the manufacturers if they could produce a smaller T4 twin scroll housing with a 16G sized wheel. I'm pretty sure that's all the old HKS turbo setup was, with a 20G wheel but it wasn't twin scroll. I would think a 20G twin scroll would work about right. That's what the guy who made an EVO X turbo setup did swapping out the 16G for an 18G or 20G but in a full twin scroll exhaust manifold and turbo housing.

Everyone I speak to about it says the cost of fabrication would fund a really nice big turbo that produces more power but that really isn't the point. We are talking about one time fabrication to build a setup that offers a broad powerband with quick spool up without simply moving the compressor map so that early spool up is accompanied by an equally early tail off. This sort of setup with a 16G or 20G wheel ought to offer spool up in the mid 2K range and allow power to continue pretty much up to the redline. For a daily driver where more than 300-350 hp isn't required, that seems ideal. I just don't see a big turbo as attractive.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts