The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant S Upgrade to VR4 engine/i4orv6 HELP

Name is Kory, I have a 94' galant S sohc I4 5-speed and I would like to know if its possible to upgrade my S to a VR4. As winter crawls in I'm pondering building an vr4 engine from all new parts, just need a list of parts if anyone has one on hand of all parts needed, and knowledge of proper instalation and if its even compatibal to the S itself.
So if anyone has this info for me please PM me or just post. I really want to do the engine over since it has 209xxx on it and I'm in love with the car. Please help.
KorySGalant

Muskrat

1) If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

2) Your car is a 7th generation car. Typically on this forum we deal with the 6th gen USDM Galant VR4, which was the only VR4 imported to the US. So as far as specific knowledge for any engine swap on your chassis, I'd look elsewhere.

3) Anything is possible with enough: Time, Money, Knowledge, and the right tools. My guess is you lack at least the tools, and definitely the knowledge, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking such a broad question. Knowledge also includes the ability to fabricate parts. Do you have any experience with this?

4) Do you just want the engine, or the whole drive train? Both will be very complex, one infinitely more so than the other.

I'm just going to go out on a limb, based on my perception of you from how you posted, and say you're better off ditching the Galant, and buying the car you really want. If you can't afford the car you really want, work harder and save for it. If you can't afford the car you really want, you can't afford an engine swap like this either. I hate to sound so harsh, but it sounds like you want to dive into a project that's WAY over your head.

Last edited:

Maybe we shouldn't pee in this guys wheaties right away.

After reviewing my limited knowledge on the 94-98 chassis, it seems quite feasible to find a donor 2G GST and swap it all. Mounts should work, and if they don't, find some from one of the 94 DOHC galants. A worst case scenario would be to swap harnesses, but I'd bet that you could get away with using the original and just add a few wires. Plumb in a I/C and have exhaust made, score a walbro or even just use the GST fuel pump. Seems easy enough, but time consuming for sure.

I'm not sure we can assume that this guy isn't up to the task, maybe we were just his very first step in his research process.

maroonmetallic

I guarantee a harness swap is needed. The 7G Galant was mainly a SOHC 2.4L when built for the US.

I'd suggest finding most parts for swapping a 4g63 into a N/T 2G "DSM". I feel this will enable the best results, other than just buying a different car.

-Shawn

raptorWagon

I would say either go venture onto galanttuners.com Where there is a lot more tech over there on the 7g+ or you could ask 4Grim who has a turbocharged 7th gen, though it is still fwd.

NickDromez

i have actually seen this done before. i met some guy who made his own vr4, and it looked like frankenstein. i have no idea what parts are needed or anything but id just like to let you know it is possible

Nartanian

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Lol this has to be CR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CarRacer

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Lol this has to be CR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Crap, I just saw this and it is most definitely not me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

89Mirageman

A 4G63 turbo manifold will bolt right onto the SOHC 16v 4G64 head. Why not just boost your current engine with used DSM/GVR4 parts? Your engine is very close to the 4G64's that came in the 2g spyders, this will give you somewhere to start at least.

Making the car AWD is a completely different story. You need a bunch of tools, a lot of knowledge or deep pockets to pay someone else to do it.

Good replys, I am using this as first jump point, I definetly don't have all the tools, or knowledge, but this car really spoke to me, out of the other 15+ cars I've had over the years, I'm 24 and really want the engine/tranny upgrade to what ever makes it faster, vr4 or just upgrades. But now I'm in a bit of a spot the engine pist out a lot of oil and I almost seized it, it starts but bad compression, I'm having my mechanic come over today and give me an update on what F'd and what's salvagable. This site is my tool as well so all info is great, if anyone knows where I should go from here let me know, id like it to be a project and eventually have her in Rally top condition, show mostly but I want the go to be very apperent too. I am not going true vr4 as I don't want to go full 4wheel too much work, just engine and tranny. Get at me!!

1994 Galant S

Well I went out and found a like new 4g64 sohc from another galant, I'm going to install it next few days. Now I can justify new bolt ons and turbos etc.. so anyone have some ideas?

89Mirageman

Replace the clutch with something better when you do the install, especially since you want to boost it in the near future. Just get a 14b, a 2g exhaust manifold and all stock oil/water lines for the turbo. Toss in some 450's and wire in the injector resistor pack, grab a safc and a bigger exhaust. I think someone else mentioned the galant center, I would check there if that site is still around.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned