The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant GSX Information

donkeylips

I have a Galant GSX but I don't know that much about them.
I understand that there were less E38A cars imported into the US than E39A cars, but...
They mostly seem to be 1990 model years, and sometimes I see 1991. Wasn't it also offered in 1992?

What do the trim codes mean?
Mine is a 1990 Nordic Blue, no-ABS, manual, sunroof, no CD, and is A70.
Another 1990 is Nordic Blue, with ABS, manual, sunroof, no CD and is A77.

What options were available and what was standard? How many were auto and how many were manual? Did they all have sunroofs?
I'm assuming they were all identical besides choice of ABS, trans, sunroof, stereo, and color.
But do the 1991s have the updated shifter, tail lights, etc?

What colors did they come in? They all seem to be blue, silver, and white.

How was this information obtained, and is there a similar breakdown for the GGSX?

faqinshiet

My friend said that there were less than 1500 imported. He has owned 3, one of which is the one I'm getting. All were 5 speed, with sunroof. I'd have to ask him for more details when I see him next.

Oops meant that all his were 5 speed

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Im pretty sure they came auto aswell?? ^^

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting faqinshiet:
My friend said that there were less than 1500 imported. He has owned 3, one of which is the one I'm getting. All were 5 speed, with sunroof. I'd have to ask him for more details when I see him next.

They came auto as well, A2Vr4 owns an auto GSX

donkeylips

Nobody knows where I can find which colors these things came in?

tektic

Mitsubishi has to have kept records. I don't think anyone else would have kept track.

Mine is a 1991 Summit white with a sun roof and auto trans. I've heard that only around 800 were imported as automatics.

That's just what I've heard...

holeshotmoe

I don't know if the information applies to the U.S. or is global, but for 90 and 91, AutoZone shows the percentage of the total for basic options:
img.php

If it is for the USDM market, since we know about 2008 VR4s were sold, then the R-Vin (GGSX) total would be 540 and the rest would total about 5175. If it is global, then who knows. Do you suppose US sales for submodels was similar to the global numbers?

I noticed on Ryan's GVR4 info page HERE he mentions in a note "Mitsubishi CAPS indicates there are 3,005 E39A models". I looked but couldn't find where that info is available in CAPS. Anyone know?

donkeylips

Yes, I was wondering about CAPS as well.

donkeylips

GGSX guys: Does everybody's gauge cluster have spots for 4WS and ABS?
ABS makes sense because some GSXs came with them, but the 4WS light is weird because the gauge cluster already doesn't have the boost gauge. You would think that they would have left the 4WS out.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I might have a file for the GGSX cars. I will look for you.

MellowVR4

Quoting donkeylips:
GGSX guys: Does everybody's gauge cluster have spots for 4WS and ABS?
ABS makes sense because some GSXs came with them, but the 4WS light is weird because the gauge cluster already doesn't have the boost gauge. You would think that they would have left the 4WS out.

Mine does have the 4ws spot on the cluster, not sure why.

donkeylips

Got a '90 Galant (USA) brochure. It's pretty neat.
All GS and GSX had gray interiors.
The '90 GSX was available in Summit White, Ascot Silver, Nordic Blue, Sahara Gold.

No surprises there. But it's interesting that there were 8 available exterior colors, but only white, silver, and gold were available for all 4 trim levels (base, LS, GS, GSX).
And unless you have one of the 2 red exterior colors, your base or LS model is going to have a brown or blue interior.

Now I need an '89 brochure to see which cars had gray interiors and manual seatbelts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts