The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Galant Detailing/Waxing

Specter

I havent seen any detailed threads on making your G ride shine. Why is that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I would like to see what the members here use to shine that metal, clean those lights, sparkle that windshield, blackout those tyres, polishes/wax/paint sealants etc, the methods, tips and tricks in making our cars shine. Or is it that we do not get to it because we are always fixing one thing or the other? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

youll see mine like that real soon after she gets back from the paint shop

raptorWagon

Cars have more character when they are dirty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

GSX_TC

Lol

H05TYL

I won a bunch of Meguiars stuff a few years ago, so that's what I use on the odd occasions I bother to clean the car.
When it does get cleaned it gets a thorough job though, probably the main reason it doesn't get done very often, lifes too short to spend the best part of a day cleaning a car too often.

The glass cleaner is easily the best I've used (though I've never bought a product anything like as expensive... ) oh, and it smells like water mellon.

GSX_TC

I actually enjoy to clean my car no matter what part of the day it is. I like her to be clean. when i see dirty cars it looks as if the owners dont care about that car.

Specter

GSXTC: Looking forward to see your car when its back.
raptorreed: Sure they do, but sometimes a change in girl's character is welcomed, isnt it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
H05TYL: Maybe not clean it too often, once a month would suffice, if the car requires it.

Specter

Quoting GSX_TC:
I actually enjoy to clean my car no matter what part of the day it is. I like her to be clean. when i see dirty cars it looks as if the owners dont care about that car.

Yes its the same here, and i guess it is also common amongst our community. Would like to see what others come up with.

raptorWagon

Quoting Specter:
GSXTC: Looking forward to see your car when its back.
raptorreed: Sure they do, but sometimes a change in girl's character is welcomed, isnt it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
H05TYL: Maybe not clean it too often, once a month would suffice, if the car requires it.

True, but like any of my cars, if it's in DD status it's not going to get washed often. I just washed my truck for the first time in a year last month, but I also don't drive that very often either. When I do wash though I use Turtle Wax and that will take me about a 30mins to a hour to do by hand. I don't think I ever waxed the vr4, only washed it from time to time, my two older Galants I do wax after a wash though.

If the paint has oxidation, a rubbing compound will help to restore it prior to waxing the car, easier if on a car that doesn't have a clearcoat.
Result of using a rubbing compound and then wax, easier to see the difference within the Coupe, the wagon just needed the shine brought back.

Before
39897_462460225335_507210335_6870627_3496113_n.jpg

248264_10150273619885336_507210335_9346487_7436169_n.jpg

After

Last edited by a moderator:

boostedinaz

I agree that people should take pride in the ownership of their car, however, that doesn't always mean that every car should be spotless. I always think of Drigss in these situations. He has a TON pride when it comes to his cars yet the entire point of them is to be dirty. I on the other hand hate dirty cars and make every effort to keep things clean. Both of us care about our cars the same amount but in different ways.

On to the original question. When I had my GTO a lot of the owners had good luck with Adam's detailing products so I gave them a shot. I loved almost everything they had. Their leather conditioner is great and doesn't make the leather shiny which I hate. Their detail spray is my absolute favorite and smells great. They have well thought out paint correction kits an a good assortment of micro fiber towels for basic cleaning and other for drying the car.

Adams

EDIT: Almost forgot. When you buy their products they give you a DVD that shows you how to use it correctly and give tips and tricks.

Last edited:

mikus

No amount of wax fixes failing paint - that's why most Mitsus aren't tidied up IMO.

That aside, not everybody's an enthusiast for looks, esp in these circles. It's a mediocre looking early 90's car. Jocking your vr4 as magazine fodder is like being the guy who swears his decent G/F is a supermodel.

I like a clean car too and I'm glad people do dress VR4's up, it just seems relatively unimportant compared to the performance angle. It's like Hilary Clinton in stockings & Lipstick.

turbowop

If you want a real discussion regarding paint/wax/washing/claybar/diapers, just hit up a BMW forum. Or any other forum out there for some newer cars. That's all they talk about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I just hit 1051 with a decent lathery soap and water and use some elbow grease via a soft hand mitt. Dry off with a shammy and throw on a light coat of liquid wax once a year. I also use Simple Green on the wheels/brakes/engine and in the wheelwells, but if the wheelwells get too dirty over time, a light dusting of satin black makes it look nice again. Lately, since I hardly drive the thing, I blow the dust off with the air compressor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

With 503 I just use the local DIY carwash and their foaming scrubber brush. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif During the winter, I don't wash it much. It's usually covered by ice and snow from driving up to the mountains to ski. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

Specter

Interesting, i thought i am the only one with a not so shiny, mostly dusty galant. So i thought lets ask you guys what you do, but it runs accross the board with most people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vtecds1

Does anyone here have any tips on steaming or power washing their engine bay? What type of degreaser that wont strip powdercoat or painted valve covers do you guys use?

boostedinaz

Simple green seems to work prettty well. You can even dilute it down a bit if you want. I've always had good luck just straight out of the bottle. If you have a place with a lot of grease or grime scrape out the excess, spray some and let it sit,then use a tooth brush to get out all the little stuff.

turbowop

Quoting vtecds1:
Does anyone here have any tips on steaming or power washing their engine bay? What type of degreaser that wont strip powdercoat or painted valve covers do you guys use?

Elbow grease. There really isn't a product out there that will clean up heavy stuff without messing up the finish on other parts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts