The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel tank construction and level indicator

ApexHunter

1951's using an oem FD rx7 pump, not rewired. I bought the car with that pump already installed, so i couldn't tell you how it was behaving prior to the install.

Whoodoo

Well I guess I was wrong... I filled up yesterday after my empty light had turned on. It only gave me 13.8 gallons when it shut off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I tried making it go really slow, but it would shut off even if I was barely squeezing it so it was definitely full. Hmmmm, maybe I'll get under the car and see if its got a big ol' dent in it somewhere.

Hertz

Staff member
Wait, wut? The fuel warning =/= empty. And 13.8 is about as much as you could possibly get on top of that (depending on temperature). Don't confuse "fuel system capacity" with "fuel tank capacity".

curtis

I'll add something to this thread since its getting traffic. Some of you may haven't noticed but the tank has a belly drain on the drivers side. I think its a 22mm but a big adjustable takes it loose either way can't hurt opening it up and draining the water from the system once a year or so.

1947 has a stock pump, so I don't think the whole rewire thing is to blame.
Thanks Curtis, thats good info. I wasn't aware of that.

NateCrisman

Quoting curtis:
I'll add something to this thread since its getting traffic. Some of you may haven't noticed but the tank has a belly drain on the drivers side. I think its a 22mm but a big adjustable takes it loose either way can't hurt opening it up and draining the water from the system once a year or so.

24mm hex head. It doesn't completely drain the tank. If you remove the drain bolt and walk away, leave the car for 20 minutes until it stops draining, then plug it back up, remove the tank and flip it over, you can still get about 2 gallons out after draining. I'm guessing it's due to the baffles?

turbowop

If you jack up the passenger front corner of the car m0ar fuel will come out the drain than if the car is sitting level.

Last edited:

JNR

What do you guys do with the old gas? I have about 3/4 tank+ that has been sitting for ~4 years, so doubting it's not very good, even for the lawnmower.

ApexHunter

^Light something on fire.

J/k take it to your local hazardous waste dump site. I'm not sure what part of socal you are in, but i imagine each county has something like that. Here is info for orange county locations: click

Kill some weeds or something. Just dont drink it!
Or you could use it for ghetto parts cleaner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

JNR

Lol, I have let the weeds grow, hmm.

Oh yeah, hazardous waste roundups...We have one coming up (hope it didn't pass), and I should get rid of all those oil containers whilst I'm at it...I need a truck, dammit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts