The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

fuel smell

just wondering about a random hose. there's a point under the fuel filter where a rubber hose comes out. i dont think its connected to the filter. about half way through the line theres like a check valve or something. then from that valve or whatever another hose rund off of that and ends next to the firewall. its open. when the car is running there its a gas smell that comes out of that tube. i guess its just a vent hose but im not sure. if it is where do you guys have it ran to? ill post a pic as soon as i figure out how too.

Muskrat

Your battery was relocated to where the charcoal canister used to be. That hose would run to the canister. It's vent for the fuel tank, so pressure doesn't build up. (it would usually filter through the charcoal canister and then route back to the intake pipe.)

You may just want to route it under the car somewhere (or back into you intake), so you're not putting fuel vapor right into the engine bay, but other than that you should be good.

That "check valve" isn't a check valve, I don't think. It looks like a cheap inline oil filter to me.

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
Should be the gas tank vent line that used to be connected to your charcoal canister. What you need to do now is just get a small cheap fuel filter and put it on the end to filter air. DO NOT BLOCK IT OFF though, this will create excess pressure in the gas tank. Hope that helps.
-shamus

Edit: Must type faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

steve

I thought it would create vacuum in the gas tank if you plug that line? As gasoline is consumed by the engine, it has to be displaced by something in the tank (air) or else a vacuum will be created. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wouldn't hooking that line to the intake be counter productive by pulling a vacuum on the tank?

Or maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I just put a filter on the end of the line when I removed the canister.

Muskrat

You may be right, although the charcoal canister is normally purged to the intake, there is the purge valve in between, which is operated in conjunction with the EGR system, I beleive (at least, the vac lines run to the egr valve.) I'm not familiar with the exact details of the operation, however.

To be safe I'd leave it as is, just route under the vehicle.

I wonder: if you wanted to keep the system fairly stock (and still have your EGR), but eliminate the canister, you could probably hook the purge valve directly up to the vent line and route into the intake. In that case you wouldn't pull vac on the tank unless you were out of boost, when the EGR system is activated.

it wouldn't necessarily put the gas tank under vacuum because of your fuel RETURN line coming back from the FPR. usually when the fuel goes back into the gas tank from the return line it creates vapor, thus creating a little pressure in the tank, if your fuel tank is under a little pressure, it's okay, it actually helps by giving your fuel pump less duty.

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting steveGLS:
I thought it would create vacuum in the gas tank if you plug that line? As gasoline is consumed by the engine, it has to be displaced by something in the tank (air) or else a vacuum will be created. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wouldn't hooking that line to the intake be counter productive by pulling a vacuum on the tank?

Or maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I just put a filter on the end of the line when I removed the canister.

Yeah, you're right, that wooshing sound when you open the gas tank is supposed to get worse when you plug it (vacuum), and possibly damage things apparently, my bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif However I highlighted the important thing from above /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
-shamus

Im guessing my hotter climate create more pressure than vacuum in my tank.
I should do the same thing they did to measure the air flow in the one-lap wing thread and tape little bits of yarn around my gas tank filler, then open it really quick to see if it sucks or blows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think hillbillies use a lighter to test this out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned