The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel sending unit

sy1100

I know we use a shorter sending unit than the 1g, but is it the same as a n/a galant? Question 2 how do I access the fuel pump? The reason I ask is there is pristine 91 galant at the pic a part that I want to tear into.

I believe access to the fuel pump is exactly as per the VFAQ if I remember correctly. I don't know about the N/A galant having the same sending unit. Be extra careful with your sending unit not to bend it in any way. I don't even recall bending my sending unit and now my gas needle reads 3/4 at full (and gets worse as time goes on). Bend that sending unit and see how much money they go for sale on here for a used one and you will get a big surprise.

sy1100

Mine must of been bent from a previous owner as well, because mine reads 3/4 full when filled. I completely forgot vfaq, and went through it. I still need to know if the N/A gallant has the same fuel sending unit? I wouldn't be surprised if the pumps were different though.

ktmrider

Quoting marvinmadman:
They are completely different

This, AWD completely changes tank location and mounting of sending unit.

A GGSX unit will work however.

transparentdsm

Quoting sy1100:
Mine must of been bent from a previous owner as well, because mine reads 3/4 full when filled. I completely forgot vfaq, and went through it. I still need to know if the N/A gallant has the same fuel sending unit? I wouldn't be surprised if the pumps were different though.

thats how it was when i bought the car. i think the guy had an aftermarket pump in there and removed it before i bought the car. he probably bent the arm when putting it back in the tank. there is a cover in the trunk on the drivers side. two phillips head screws take them out, remove the plate, disconect the harness, push the gromet and harness threw the shield, remove the shield, then there are 8 8mm nuts that have to be removed, if they look rusty PB blast them wait 20 minutes then remove them, pull the pump out, take the arm push the arm all the way up to where it would be a full tank, grab the floater and bend the arm till the floater sits level with the piece that the arm is pivoting on. i hope this helps you a bit.

Thanks for the tip transparentdsm. I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of what is what though but I guess next time I go in I'll defer back to this thread or shoot you a pm.

Thanks....not to hijack (I think this might help OP) but if get the pump out and show you pics at some point would you be able to visually see the bends or at least maybe show us what to look for? Would be so nice to know what a full tank is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sy1100

Quoting blkchr91:
Thanks....not to hijack (I think this might help OP) but if get the pump out and show you pics at some point would you be able to visually see the bends or at least maybe show us what to look for? Would be so nice to know what a full tank is . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

X2 That would be nice. When I pull the pump here in the future I will post up pics. I have a ton of new parts to put on the car in the not to distant future, and will be posting what I have already done, and what will be done to it.

prove_it

Mine reads 3/4 too. I've grown to like it now. When it hits E, I have a "reserve" of fuel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

transparentdsm

so i filled up 1078 the other night and it reads 3/4 at full. today i will puill the pump take pictures and explain how to fix it for ya'll

That is great if it does...interesting.

Quoting rst100:
I have a 1g sending unit in my car works great

transparentdsm

this is where you want it level to, mine ended up being a bad fuel level sender. if this is where yours is, maybe a little closer to the wrench then you have a bad sender as well. if its sitting above the wrench then it can be bent back to here and its still a good unit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts