The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel capacity question

Songsay

I forgot one more factor, tire size.
My calculations were based on my previous 195/60/15 size.
Now i have 225/45/17 and is about an inch taller. Lengthens the gear slightly, maybe im just used to the tall gears in my 3000gt.

Bill, what tire size you running on your car?

misterfixit

Here's how to check the gauge sender. Easy to just pull the connector and do the resistances At nearly empty and full, no need to lift the unit out the tank. If the resistances are out of tol (at the top) then maybe break into the tank and look at float heights.

This should not be difficult to find there are stickies to service manuals all over here. This is the US manual available on lilevos site.

Here is my gauge this morning in the carpark at work. No warning light showing (jdm gauges use the same head and sender but no yellow band) Light came on on the way home so i'll snap a pic and post that tomorrow so you can see where the needle is.

The warning light is off a seperate sensor hanging down off the sender unit. It is not related to arm mowement at all.

Rich

Last edited:

Adorsey

I recall Turbowop saying he *drove up to the pump and put 17~ gallons in?
Thats epic! Most of the time my light will flicker around empty but it never stays on..
Even parked downwards on a hill.
Unless im using my debit card, I just toss in 20$ and drive it around. Although I cant say 1942 is my Daily driver yet, but soon to be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My Org. window sticker says 19mpg city and 25mpg highway. But thats with a stock fuel system.

Songsay

Last night I was at the pump, gas light had been on for a few days, odometer read 180 miles.
Filled it up, it stopped just over 11 gallons, i thought to myself, hmmmm, so squoze the handle very gently
and got 13 gallons before telling myself to stop.
So I am getting closer to figuring what my car can actually hold for fuel volume.

rgeier11

There is no way people are putting over 15 gallons in their car. I average 24-25mpg. I always fill the tank to the top and always drive it until the light comes on. This is at about the 280 miles mark. I have gone 303 on a single tank before.

In my old 1995 GS-T, I would get 330 miles per tank no problem.

fuel

Most Japanese cars tend to have a bit of a 'reserve' below the empty mark, so the car doesn't come to a spluttering stop when numpties don't fill up when it's getting down to "empty". The reserve is usually around 5-10L. I could always only usually get 50-55L into my tank depending on how far below the empty mark I go.

also offtopic but wow I did not know there was a 'New Zealand Green' colour for the 3000GT's (from the above sig)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned