The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: SOLD...1991 VR4 247/2000 Syracuse, NY...

91GVR4#479

The best way for me to present this car, is to present the original ad, and what has happened since.
It is much easier, and much more complete for me to use the previous posting with all the pictures, etc.
I hope that this is allowed, and if not I expect that one of the moderators will tell me.

I bought this car last summer. Unfortunately, it was not quite as advertised. Details are in the posting below, including everyone's comments. This car has a great exterior, great interior, and the engine is solid. Soon after I bought it, the rear end seized up, and my mechanic told me I had to replace the rear and and the transmission. I was able to pick up both and my mechanic installed them. Unfortunately, I can't do any of the work myself. I know it sounds crazy, but I had wanted this car to use as a daily winter driver. I was very frustrated that there was no windshield washer bottle (it had been removed when the battery from the trunk was put back in the engine compartment) and the rear window defroster did not work at all. For those of you familiar with upstate New York winters, the car would be worthless without windshield washers and without a rear defroster. In any case, I put the battery back in the trunk, replaced the windshield washer bottle, and was able to get another rear windshield from someone on the board in New York City.

I drove the car as a daily driver throughout the winter, and it was great. The powertrain was solid, and the only quirk was that it was very difficult to get the car into reverse. It was manageable, but not great. Unfortunately, about a month ago, something happened with the transmission again. The car is drivable, but it is only a matter of time before it is not. 1st and 2nd gears are okay, 3rd is borderline, 4th is absolutely worthless and must be skipped, and 5th is okay. The car is not usable as a daily driver now, but it will likely make a trip for 4 or 5 hours if needed. I can't promise that, but I can drive it, sort of sneak through the gears, and it seems okay once I get it into 5th. As far as I am concerned, the trans is shot. I think the rear end is okay, and I'm sure that the engine is as good as it has ever been. The engine is not a problem.

Once again, the body is phenomenal, the interior is phenomenal, and for someone who can work on the car themselves, it is just a question of fixing the powertrain.

With respect to the mileage, it now has 72,000 on the odometer, and with respect to the question of what the true odometer is, I believe the story from the original owner. Please see below for all of those details.

I paid $6000 for the car, and I think it was well worth that. Unfortunately, with the power train the way it is, I know it is not reasonable to ask for anything near that. I believe that $4700 is a fair price, and for someone who can do the work themselves, they will be able to get this back into excellent shape for much less than $6000 total.

Below is a link to the “Bad guys” section where the original complaint was filed against the owner of the car who sold it to me. I am using that link because all of the details and the pictures are valid. I would not be selling the car with 2 sets of tires and wheels, just the one set of almost new summer tires and good looking painted wheels.

I am 2 hours and 15 min. from Rochester, 4 1/2 hours from Philly, and 4 1/2 hours from New York City. I am in Utica, New York. I am selling the car because it served its purpose as a winter car for me, and I really don't want the hassle of repairing it again. I have learned that the only mechanics I can really trust are at STM in Rochester, and I really don't want to go through the time and hassle of having them repair it. I am fortunate enough to own 2 other VR4's that are great performers, and I'm ready to let this one go.

Pictures are below

click

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
I remember this car and the saga behind it.

Sorry to hear it hasn't treated you as well as it could have.

That said, please read the rules for posting in this section.

Quoting rules:
5. At least one clear photo of the actual car for sale is required. If you are serious about selling your vehicle, this should not be a problem.

You will need to post a current picture. (more is better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

If the car is as clean as I remember it, it will help you get it sold.

thanks!

91GVR4#479

I knew that I needed a picture, but I thought that all of the pictures in the original post would be okay, since the car is no different. I wasn't sure, however, and that's why I mentioned in the post that I would defer to a moderator. That being said, it will be Thursday before I am home in the daytime and can take a picture. Is that acceptable to give me 48 hours until Thursday?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts