The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: FEAL 441 Adjustable Coilover Damper Kit for 1987-92 Galant VR-4

ApexHunter

<b>FEAL 441 Coilover kit, built specifically for the 1987-92 Galant VR4</b>

Hi gvr4.org, this is meant to consolidate info from the existing thread located here into one post. Special deals exist through HeelToe Auto for .org members!

I'm involved here because this kit has been in existence for some time now, but there was a lack of experience with it here on the .org. I work at an online performance parts retail store, and leveraged my position there to become a dealer and collaborate with a few GVR4.org members to test these kits.

<b>Who is FEAL?</b> A small, family owned and operated company native to Southern California with a rich history of tuning, servicing, and building suspension systems for a variety of motorsports. Feal Suspension, What We Do.

Why Feal 441 over the other brands?
- More shock stroke than many competitors
- Less friction resulting in much better ride quality
- Better spring rate calculations with actual natural frequency targets
- Better valving profiles resulting in much better ride quality
- More precise tolerences in piston, shim stack, and seal head assembly

<b>Pricing:</b> Retail/MAP is $1350.00. PLEASE CONTACT ME DIRECTLY to inquire about any specials currently being offered to GVR4.org members!
Here is the product listing at HeelToeAuto.com

<b>Features:</b>
--- Dampers are designed, built, and dyno tested right here in the USA
--- USA based product support, both through FEAL and HeelToe Automotive
--- Damper rebuild/service/customization all available directly from FEAL
--- Genuine Japanese Swift Springs (very linear and very consistent)
--- 7K Front / 7K Rear spring rates
--- Total travel: 4.5” Front, 5” Rear. (30% of which is droop travel)
--- Monotube design for best feedback and stable, linear damping even in intense use.
--- 1-way adjustable damping; 30 click spectrum
--- Dampers are length adjustable for independent height/preload adjustment
--- Teflon injected spherical bearing top mounts (front only)
--- Laser cut steel front upper mount with camber adjustability
--- Aluminum rear upper mount
--- High quality low friction seals and rod guide bushings
--- High flow pistons (allows wide range of damping adjustment)

<b>Fitment:</b> No modifications are needed to use these coilovers. The upper and lower mounts bolt right in like stock parts. Front lower strut brackets have stock brake line and ABS line mounting provisions. For the rear, you have the option of using universal brake line mounting brackets (1 pair included with each kit), or coming up with your own solution.

<b>Custom rates and valving are available</b>, please contact me if you need a custom kit built. Please note that the default kit is excellent for street use and HPDE/track days. If you are more focused on track performance, you have more aero, and/or track tires etc then we should consider a custom kit. Pricing starts at $1550.00.

<b>A Max-Travel option is available</b> as well. Total travel with this kit (GVR4 specific) is 5.625”. 6K Front, 4K Rear spring rates are standard, but 7K/7K are also available. Valving will be adjusted as needed to suit whichever spring rates you choose. Why opt for Max Travel?
---Max comfort and suspension travel
---Allows for a slight lift over stock ride height (about 1")
---Allows for a slight drop under stock ride height (.5-1" depending on model)
These kits are used in national and regional level Rallyx competitions, SCCA Auto X competitions, on recce vehicles, and for spirited gravel road driving.
<b>Retail/MAP pricing for Max-Travel kit (GVR4 application) is $1550.00</b> Please contact me directly to check on specials.

<b>Pictures</b>

26833698781_506466be03_b.jpg

26807725292_7a6c2264c9_b.jpg

26807706912_cfbe9cb278_b.jpg

19744557059_d325224409_b.jpg

19931210525_fd18e8cec5_b.jpg

19743825758_2c3bb45747_b.jpg

24719441655_fe8fcb92ac_b.jpg

24092602143_63240f048d_b.jpg

24091262204_f2d0496e90_b.jpg

24092596443_ca588389b8_b.jpg

24423899080_9afe77b935_b.jpg

<b>One of our test cars had some nice looking, custom 1 piece brake lines made in the rear</b>. Brake line brackets in the rear are no longer necessary with these custom lines. Please note that the kit comes with universal brackets you can use to mount the stock-style rear lines. Custom rear brake lines are not included, but please contact me directly if you are interested in going this route.

24719959895_9d00ffa907_b.jpg

<b>Thanks to EMX5636 and oldmantau for helping us test these out!</b>
Here is oldmantau’s car getting some well-deserved press a few months after the install:

24626096441_caca893fe2_b.jpg

24424077180_6c3d2ab6e0_b.jpg

We found that these dampers perform at a level much higher than their price point would suggest. They deliver great overall quality and performance and FEAL is a great group of people to work with.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

I thought i'd list these for the off road guys, for cars that don't always get to drive in the most favorable conditions, or if you are just looking for added protection:

FEAL "Shockwears" shock covers

24445371420_653ebdbd0d_c.jpg

These are semi-universal. Fits 60mm, 62mm, 65mm and 2.5” ID diameter springs, and are available in 3 different lengths (see link for details).

ApexHunter

Why Swift Springs?

Swift proprietary material along with advanced cold winding process allows Swift springs to be manufactured using a thinner wire diameter with fewer coils making the springs the lightest magnetic metal springs available on the market.

Swift Metric Coilover springs feature the highest linearity of any spring out there. Along with the widest stroke range possible, the springs stay linear throughout MORE of the usable stroke range compared to anything else out there. Swift guarantees the spring rate accuracy to be +/- 2% within the advertised spring rate.

Swift's superior spring compression speed responds much quicker over undulating road surfaces so the tires have a lesser tendency to skip. This enables the tire to stay in contact with the road, improving traction and helps keep tire temperatures down.

ApexHunter

UPDATE:

FEAL is currently building a kit for a member on here that includes REVISED FRONT LOWER BRACKETS that allegedly have the correct ABS/Brake line mounting provisions. I expect to be picking them up next week and will report back with my findings, with pics!!

In other news, the planets finally aligned and i got my own 441 kit installed on my evo 8. This kit is AWESOME. The valving is on point, and the car rides better than stock and is the best i've experienced in the sub-$2000 price range. It's firmer than stock, but smoother than stock. The car feels very planted and stable, and the Evo has pretty good suspension to begin with, so i'm really, really happy. Will be going to the track with it next weekend for further analysis.

I realize that these are two different cars, but there are enough similarities that i feel it is still relevant:
Vehicle weight with driver: 3322
Weight distribution: 61.6% front, 38.4% rear
Suspension config: MacPh Strut front, Multi-link rear, with suspension geometry and motion ratios similar to E38/39A.

Obviously there are differences between the two cars as well, but if nothing else i can vouch for their quality once again.

strokin4dr

I'm interested to see the revisions. Keep us posted.

JamesFoster

I want to try these out. I actually know Odi from Feal too!

PolskiVR4

This revision would be icing on the cake for me. If all goes well with getting my engine dropped in, these are my next big ticket item. Quoting ApexHunter:
UPDATE:

FEAL is currently building a kit for a member on here that includes REVISED FRONT LOWER BRACKETS that allegedly have the correct ABS/Brake line mounting provisions. I expect to be picking them up next week and will report back with my findings, with pics!!

In other news, the planets finally aligned and i got my own 441 kit installed on my evo 8. This kit is AWESOME. The valving is on point, and the car rides better than stock and is the best i've experienced in the sub-$2000 price range. It's firmer than stock, but smoother than stock. The car feels very planted and stable, and the Evo has pretty good suspension to begin with, so i'm really, really happy. Will be going to the track with it next weekend for further analysis.

I realize that these are two different cars, but there are enough similarities that i feel it is still relevant:
Vehicle weight with driver: 3322
Weight distribution: 61.6% front, 38.4% rear
Suspension config: MacPh Strut front, Multi-link rear, with suspension geometry and motion ratios similar to E38/39A.

Obviously there are differences between the two cars as well, but if nothing else i can vouch for their quality once again.

ApexHunter

UPDATE:

The revised front lower brackets are now available, and they are very good. They have the correct provisions for both the ABS and hard-line (brake line) brackets. Woo hoo! Moving forward, i'll make sure that all kits that we have built use these brackets. Super stoked for this. Thanks to everyone who has helped on this project- notably Feal, EMX5636, oldmantau, and VR6Eater.

26807725292_7a6c2264c9_b.jpg

26807706912_cfbe9cb278_b.jpg

26833698781_506466be03_b.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts