The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 97 Volvo 850glt TURBO 5cyl a/t wagon. $2900 Wisconsin

pachood_1953

Ok, so its time to push this thing.
First, the bad.
It smokes.... Im not 100% what the problem is, but I think the PCV system has to be gone through again. I have been told carbon builds up at all of the ports, and they need to be reamed out in order to get rid of the plug. I did not do this when I replaced the PCV system. I was told that it will smoke if this were the case.

I had a PCV issue shortly after I bought the car, and it pressurized the system and pushed oil into the intercooler and the exhaust. I have had it in to two mechanics (one being Rileys import in chippewa, he specializes in these vehicles) and I was told it just needs to be driven on the highway to get rid of the remaining oil. That may be true, as I have only driven the vehicle about 30 miles since the event. I drove it for about 15 miles after cleaning out the intercooler, and it didnt smoke at all, then the next day it began to smoke again.
I had the compression checked, and there is no problem there. The car runs, and drives great. It is still very powerful, and fun to drive. I believe the GLT makes around 170hp from the factory.

Traction control, and ABS dont work due to the abs/trac computer. This is extremely common, and the computer can be rebuilt for around $100 if it bothers you. I have also seen used, but working units being sold for around the same price.

A/C doesnt work, the condensers are prone to cracking, common problem,
also, I believe the heater core MAY leak. These are REALLY easy to replace, you take out the glove box and its right there IIRC. This is another super common problem.

It has been sitting for a while (~6 months)..I go out and let it run for about an hour every other week, and drive it around the block every once in a while.

So all in all, it suffers from the typical, and common problems, but other then the smoke, nothing bothered me.

The good
I have replaced ALOT. Mostly because I wanted to freshen it up when I bought it.
-Pcv System
-Intake manifold gaskets
-Struts (all 4, mid grade)
-cap, and rotor
-Spark plugs and wires
-Brakes, including rotors, and pads all around
-Turbo (I thought this may have been the problem for the smoking)
-New tires
-little things (oil cap gasket, washer bottle cap, etc..)

Nice shape
-No rust that I know of. I believe the paint flaked on the right fender lip, but no rust
- one dent on roof from the gate opening too far, a few dents in the gate, and the front bumper must have been involved in a minor accident. None of these are super noticeable, but they are there.
-Everything works as far as I know. Heated seats, power seats, windows, sunroof, etc.
-leather seats
-sun roof
-alloys

All in all, its a good car that needs a little work. Im pricing it at $2900 because I'd like to move on, I just dont have the time troubleshoot. I have over a thousand invested in new parts (all with under 100 miles, except for the tires). It could make a very nice car for a good price. Tons of room, power, and unmatchable safety.

volvo.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

And a little race car action

001__scaled_600.jpg

Vehicle is located in Eau claire WI, 90 miles from minneapolis. I would suggest towing to be safe.
Pm me with ANY questions.

V8EATER

Volvo's are great cars. I have a 96 850R, love it.

One note: heater cores are not easy. Dashboard must be pulled to replace them, and it's a HUGE job. I've done it more than once, and if you can do it by pulling the glove box only, you're doing better than any mechanic (including myself) can.

PCV system problems are common (just finished doing mine). To replace the system completely, it's only about $120 in parts, and maybe 3 hours to do the work in your driveway.

pachood_1953

I dont know, thats just what I read by the reviews on IPD's site.
click,174&P_ID=3082&CAT_ID=174&V_ID=7062
People said they could do it in under 2 hours the first time.

I dont remember why I thought it was leaking. It very well might not be, I just have it in my head that it might be leaking.

And I did replace the entire PCV system with the kit from FCP Groton.
The reason for replacing it, was that I had a line pinch and cause the pressure build up. I replaced it immediately after.

And I forgot to mention I replaced a few motor mounts. The trans mount, and the upper stabalizer..Which was replaced with the IPD poly mount.

mikus

You're both close... it's not through the glovebox BUT you can do it ghetto-fab without pulling the whole dash, and it's about 2hrs. Writeup is out there, matthews volvo site I think.

I can walk the buyer through the ABS unit removal and soldering, or can solder myself for $100 shipped. It's not too bad of a job, if you've ever soldered on a board you can do it. You can drive these with a bad ABS unit as well, no big whoop.

GL with the sale!

pachood_1953

Bump, I need this thing GONE. make me an offer, even a trade.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts