The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: 22-spline 1G AWD Transmission : $300 - shipped

belize1334

I thought this trans was FUBAR 'cause of the bad sounds my car was making. I then dropped $2k on a new transmission from JacksTransmissions.com and the new one makes ALL THE SAME SOUNDS THE OLD ONE DID! Lesson: my car is noisy and it wasn't the transmission's fault. So, the end result is that I now have a perfectly good transmission which I replaced for no reason and am thus selling. I originally bought it from a part-out in Centralia WA and the PO said that it had 3k miles after a rebuild from a local shop in Tacoma WA. Since then I've probably put 10k miles on it before I pulled it. It always shifted perfectly with no grinding or popping out of gear or anything like that. Like I said, I pulled it cause the decel growl made me think the bearings were going but after putting in the new trans I'm now aware that there's something else wrong in the car and the trans is perfect.

Known (minor) issues with this transmission are as follows...

1) lower t-case mounting hole is stripped. This is true of about half of the DSM transmissions I've seen. You run a slightly longer bolt and back it up with a nut and it's good to go!

2) Holes for mounting bracket have been helicoiled for SAE bolts. I'll include the bolts with the trans (9/16 iirc). They fit perfectly and never budged so I wouldn't blink an eye at this!

3) Shifter has a little for-aft wiggle in 3rd gear. I thought that this might indicate a loose retaining bolt inside but after removing the end-cover everything is tight so I put it back together and it's fine!

4) Leaks a tiny bit of gear oil from the input shaft seal. The seal is impossible to replace without doing a complete tear-down so this is a "live with it" kind of leak. In the 3 years I had the transmission in my galant it leaked less than a quarter of a liter of oil so you don't have to worry about it running dry. And no part of the clutch assembly ever showed signs of oil contamination so there's no issue there either.

I'm asking $300 shipped (o.b.o.) in the CONUS. It'll come in the same box that Jack used to ship me my new transmission.

Last edited:

chrisfullwood

PM sent, very interested.... question though, does anyone know what spline the factory transfer case is on the 90 GSX?
thanks

belize1334

22-spline is the earlier design. Your '90 is almost certainly using a 22-spline t-case. But be warned. If the car is a '90 then the '91+ style shift levers are gonna be a problem. '90 in a '91+ is easy. The other way around not so much...

chrisfullwood

shift lever? as in gear shifter or gear stick whatever.... its called a gear stick in england, which is where i'm from... being from another country causes so many communication issues...lol

yes i know, i tried to put one in... didnt work well, so i put my old one back in.
but that shouldnt cause a problem as long as the shifter cables fit right?

belize1334

The shift levers are the two levers bolted to the transmission which physically accomplish the changing of gears. They're different from '90 to '91+. The cables and shifter assembly (stick) are also different. Now, the main difference is that the selector lever (for aft motion) is shorter on a '90. The corresponding part on the shifter (stick) is also shorter so that you get the same motion ratio with less cable travel. Now, putting a '90 in a '91 is no problem because you get an instant short throw. But, putting a '91 in a '90 the cable doesn't throw far enough to swing the lever and you don't get all the way into gear.

The solutions are as follows: 1) Swap the shifter and cables from a '91+ into your '90. or 2) modify the shift lever on the transmission so that the cable attaches closer to the pivot point. or 3) attempt to swap the shift lever from a '90 onto the '91 which involves driving out the set pin and may end in disaster.

It's a solvable issue... but it won't just bolt in and go. As I said, '90 in a '91+ is easy peasy. '91+ in a '90 not so much...

Last edited:

chrisfullwood

Thanks for the update, i appreciate the information. Very very helpful. So seems like the simplest answer would be, 91+ cables, 91+ shifter? or... go transmissionless while its at the shop getting a rebuild.

The problem i had with the actual shifter i got, i believe it was a 2G (supposed upgrade?) but when i put it in... the point where the shift cables attach to the bottom of the shifter itself, was to low, and contacted the base of the shifter, and the driveshaft tunnel. Basically making it impossible to shift. i made some mods to another base i had. but no banana's it worked briefly, was difficult to shift, and ended up pulling the plastic guide tube out. i had to drive home in 3rd gear, through town. through about 12 stoplights, that just happened to turn red when i got there.

belize1334

Yeah that's no good. If you have a crummy shifter assembly in there anyway and no longer have the '90 assembly to swap back in then you may as well do the '91+ swap (assembly and cables). It's a popular modification for your year anyway since it takes you out of the "black sheep" category of '90 transmissions which are harder to rebuild anyway. Besides, when installing a transmission it's STRONGLY recommended that you remove the plastic center column to gain access to the assembly and adjust the cables for best shifting. Once you've done that, you're already in position to swap the whole assembly if you want to...

Last edited:

chrisfullwood

good god, i don't want to be with the black sheep... all they do is crack white sheep jokes! lol (Jokes!)

ok, well ive found the transmission then.... i just need a solid 91 shifter/base and cables...
good thing im planning on putting the car on stands for a while to go through everything huh...lol

belize1334

Yes, this is a direct bolt-in for 91/92 GVR4 and any '91+ AWD DSM.

if i will purchase your trans to be shipped to the philippines how much would be the shipping costs?
i have a galant 1990 with a 4g67 engine and would like to convert it to a vr4.
tnx a lot

belize1334

Sorry but I won't be shipping this overseas. It's just too big of a headache to attempt to figure out the cost up front. If you do the legwork and arrange the shipping I'll consider it but otherwise it's not worth my time.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts