The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front Hub?

BpuVR4

Curious what guys have done if they needed a new front wheel hub. Car is apart at shop for a bearing job right now, and i didn't think it might need a hub....and lo and behold it does. Even tried to get a price from a dealer here, steep at 200, but also 2 month wait?? Is there an alternative to trying junkyards, and if so cross reference w another car? Can't find anything via rockauto, advanced, or anything.

89Mirageman

If you're willing to delete the abs I can get you one from a base model at the junkyard. $200 is crazy!

SouthCaliVR4

post up a wanted to buy, someone has done a five lug conversion & has a couple lying around.

BpuVR4

i seriously just spent the last 3 hours scouring online to find one- new, used whatever. my friend found one for me on ebay just a couple states away so I pounced on it, hoping it's decent quality. Yea, two of the dealers I called both said it'd take 1-2months and around 200. I guess a warning guys, if you're gonna do your front bearings and think it got hot, be ready.

EHmotorsports

what was the reason for needing a new hub? did they mess it up trying to get it out?

BpuVR4

theyre saying it got too hot. ive used this shop before and they haven't screwed me yet, so i will accept that i did it. im just glad my car's not gonna sit on their lift longer than need be cause of this.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Properly pressed, they should not have needed heat to change this.

BpuVR4

^ i meant heat as in wear from driving on the bearing. i honestly didn't drive much on it, i had thought a broken control arm was contributing to that sound when i got right down to it, but was wrong.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Please request your old parts back, take a pic and post it up.

... I"m curious what they are calling "heat" damage

thanks!

prove_it

I've done hundreds of front wheel bearings/hubs over the years and never heard or seen bearings cause excessive heat and cause the knuckle to fail.

To be clear though, are you talking about the knuckle, bearing, or the spindle.

PM me I can get you parts as needed, but I doubt you do.

I wanna see pics. I think that shop is clueless or damaged it for you and they should pay.

SouthCaliVR4

while rare, I have had to replace hubs. a couple just cause I didn't feel good about them & I don't want a dead or injured customer.

when the bearing fails a lot of heat gets dumped to the hub itself, sometimes the race will spin & make the hub not run true anymore. I doubt the shop is too off base with wanting to replace it.

And he's talking about the hub itself.

prove_it

So we are talking about the rear then?

prove_it

You mean the spindle.....

A hub is considered a bearing assembly.

Also I have never seen or ever heard of a bearing race spinning on the spindle (hub as it's being called). I might be wrong, but that seems very hard to believe as the race is more firmly attached to the spindle than the bearing itself. Now if the bearing got that hot that it would do that, then I must say you had to have ruined everything else too.

To the OP I would request the parts back. I still think the shop damaged this themselves are trying to get out of it.

SouthCaliVR4

not to thread jack....

No, I mean the hub. A spindle would include the knuckle on a rear drive with conventional front inner & outer bearings. so while you & yours may use "hub" as different meaning than the norm, industry standard refers to the hub as the portion that the wheel bolts to. whether front drive, rear drive or all wheel drive. sometimes the hub is incorporated into the brake rotor sometimes they are separate, like on ours.

holeshotmoe

Quoting BpuVR4:
^ i meant heat as in wear from driving on the bearing. i honestly didn't drive much on it, i had thought a broken control arm was contributing to that sound when i got right down to it, but was wrong.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been driving on my noisy bearing about 5 months now!

prove_it

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
not to thread jack....

No, I mean the hub. A spindle would include the knuckle on a rear drive with conventional front inner & outer bearings. so while you & yours may use "hub" as different meaning than the norm, industry standard refers to the hub as the portion that the wheel bolts to. whether front drive, rear drive or all wheel drive. sometimes the hub is incorporated into the brake rotor sometimes they are separate, like on ours.

You are right there, I looked it up. Mitsu calls it a hub too. I was thinking that anytime you have a shaft piece it would be called a spindle. Learn something new everyday.

I still don't see how the hub would get so hot and ruin it.

BpuVR4

Quoting holeshotmoe:
Quoting BpuVR4:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I've been driving on my noisy bearing about 5 months now!

holy cow...well i dont know haha. kinda makes me feel a little better someone didn't jump on it right away either.

i'd like to remind that im sure that my control arm shearing in half on the other side probably aided i whatever bad happened w the bearing on this side. I don't have any real answers. I originally thought the bearing was starting to make some noise so I drove it very sparingly thinking I had to get it done. Then in that time, my pass side control arm broke. I figured fixing that would eliminate the noise, but it didn't. Now I'm back to bearing r/r. I figure this will be the finale to this whole fiasco, and wish the hub would hurry up and get here.

SouthCaliVR4

A growling bearing is a different issue & generally won't cause too much damage. That is caused by pitting of the races or the balls themselves. if the bearing is full on failing then you will get massive heat built up in a very concentrated area. this heat makes the inner race over expand & spin on the hub. that is where the hub gets damaged.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts