The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front control arms

AWDPower

I had a ball joint pop out of the control arm on the freeway. Not a fun experience. I haven't had a chance to inspect the arm yet, but I assume it's damaged. Is our arm only on the GVR4 and GGSX? The FWD arms are different, due to the swaybar mount, correct? I can use AWD DSM arms, but I have to change both because they are slightly different, correct? I had changed the ball joints a couple months ago. The new ones from Autozone appeared to be the same as the ones that came out. The old ones came out pretty easily, but the new ones were a pain to install. They were pressed in all of the way, and the retaining clip was fully seated in the groove. Just prior to the ball joint popping out, I had gone to a gas station on a hill that had a very uneven lot, enough to lift a wheel. I heard a pop. What could cause the ball joint to come out like that? Broken clip?

Thank you,

IncorpoRatedX

rock auto has them with ball joint installed for $60

Armitage

I had a ball joint pop out during a rally one time. That was fun, I finished the event holding the wheel 90 degrees to the left just to go straight D:

I don't believe there are any differences between a 1G AWD lower control arm/ball joint and that of a GVR4.

I think in my case the seat in the control arm got enlarged over time and then one big shock and the whole thing just pushes right on through, circlip and all. Anyway it's not completely unheard of but do make sure if you're going to try and press a new ball joint into your control arm that it fits snugly or else you should replace the whole control arm.

curtis

^ Where the hell you been anyway...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just looked and you've posted more this week than in years. Glad to hear your still kicking around here.

Armitage

Hey curtis, I've been around but mostly just lurking in the classifieds. Overhauled the whole powertrain in 960 a few years back and the car has been problem free so I've forgotten what working on it was like and haven't had any "how do I" questions to post ;P

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting raptorreed:
The only difference between DSM and GVR4 arms is ~1 degree of camber.

I have refuted this before, as there is no difference in these arms except the bushing durometer. The difference in the alignments setting between the 1g and the VR4 is due to the upper strut mounting bushings.

EMX5636

Good to know iceman, I was ready to find me DSM lower arms. I'm swapping to the FWD spindles now, so I would have done the whole thing if they really were different.

vr4play

The difference between the arms is 1 deg of caster not camber. You loose a deg of caster with the use of a 1g arm. The caster specs are the same as the 1g but the upper shock mounting point is different. The fwd galant arms are the same. I have used them in the past for a customer who had an offroad excursion and couldn't afford new.

jepherz

Staff member
Did you not see Iceman's comment above?

"there is no difference in these arms except the bushing durometer. The difference in the alignments setting between the 1g and the VR4 is due to the upper strut mounting bushings."

4Grim

Bring back a old thread..but thought it would be better than creating a new thread especially if the subject is related.

I bought some Dorman LCAs for a 1g awd application several months ago. I didn't install them right away as juggling work and family late part of last year kept me from doing anything to my Galants. I finally had some time to replace the Dorman LCA's and the issue I am running into is the pivot bushing is almost 1/4 inch shorter than the original oem bushing. The LCA are identical for the exception of the the pivot bushing being shorter. Because of this..I cannot install the bracket to hold hold the arm onto the subframe.

Is this a issue with 1g lca's or maybe I just got the wrong part?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts