The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front caliper piston seals

G0TB00ST

Hey Everyone,

I poked around using the search button but was a bit unsuccessful. Long story short... I did my front brakes. I noticed that one seal on each caliper kept bulging out more than the other. I managed to get the driver side on without any issues, but the passenger side caliper got pierced and has a pin hole in it. It started leaking a couple drips of brake fluid so I just put it together and parked the car in front of my house.

Is there a good place that sells those caliper piston seals so I can replace them... or should I get new calipers? I am sure those seals are fairly inexpensive.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

89Mirageman

I've rebuilt several sets of the twin piston calipers using parts from Rockauto, Mitsubishi of course sells them too though.

RayH

Seals are inexpensive but a bit of work to replace. I've done the pistons and seals once and if I had to do it again, I would probably go with rebuilt calipers which will save much time and effort. The good thing with either way is that you'll get out all the gunk that collects behind the pistons.

89Mirageman

Another option is to find a 96 or under Diamante at the You pull it yard and grab the calipers. Most yards sell them for $10-$15 each if you pull them. Just find a nice pair with no leaks and swap them out.

92_talon_awd

I constantly had to rebuild calipers when I worked at Toyota, 4-runners and Tacomas with the 4 piston brakes are notorious for locking up. I never thought it was that difficult to do, just pop em out, sand the components lightly, new seals and pop it back in. I'd get the seals from the dealer.

SouthCaliVR4

OK it sounds like the dust seals have fluid building up behind them. the seal that's leaking is the square cut seal inside that you can't see. replacing the ones you see will not fix the problem. you need to pop out the piston & replace both or in other word, rebuild the caliper.

SSGdave

The rebuild kit is still avalable from Mitsubishi, and its a complete kit.

not to bad a job. I did mine afre years ago when I still worked for Ball Mitsu.

G0TB00ST

Thanks everyone for you help. I will order the rebuild kit tomorrow. I haven't had the time to do anything yet until now. It sucks seeing the car sit everyday!

G0TB00ST

We'll the seals aren't available from Mitsubishi and autozone and the local napa can't get them for me. It looks like my only option is buying rebuilt calipers. I really want to drive my baby.

SSGdave

Quoting G0TB00ST:
We'll the seals aren't available from Mitsubishi and autozone and the local napa can't get them for me. It looks like my only option is buying rebuilt calipers. I really want to drive my baby.

wow, that sucks! I had no idea the kit was discontinued.

G0TB00ST

Thanks everyone... I got new brake calipers from hale don auto parts... Local to me. My baby is out and about now.

thruarod

Boost?!? Its matt...

My caliper locked up yesterday. Trying to find out if my 92 Talon single piston calipers will fit if anyone knows?

gvr4ever

Maybe with the mounting bracket, but it would be a downgrade. I didn't know the single pistons made it past 91. I over heating some pretty decent higher temp street pads with my 91 fwd talon. I wouldn't want the same thing on a heavier car.

thruarod

93 was the change over point to the twin piston. I swapped to 93 Talon / 3000GT fwd brakes in my Talon, so I have the original single piston calipers laying in the garage so I figured I would put them to use.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned