The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Front 02 not cycling at idle.

Captn

So I am trying to dial the car in. Watching the ecmlink videos about fuel trims and I cannot get mine to move because the front 02 doesn't cycle, the sensor is about a year old with even less use.

I tried to do a cruise log but got no where.

Looked at the sensor connector and it looks fine as well as the wires.

I managed to get my airflow/rev down to 24-26 at idle but my combFT is crazy high, adjusting dead times do nothing.

Figuring out how to post the log...
DSMTUNER LOG LINK

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Is your coolant temp sensor good? Wire looks ok on them?

Captn

I think so... The gauge in my car doesn't work though, I could have a problem there.

No dtc's shows up for the coolant temp sensor.

Anyone know how to post a log?

raptorWagon

There is a gauge sensor and then there is a ECU sensor on the tstat housing. The ECU one is the bigger sensor and plug you will see, make sure that is hooked up. The small connector for the temp gauge doesn't affect the ECU.

Also when you reference "front o2", I hope you don't think we have a rear o2 in factory form lol.

Captn

Yeah I know there is only one o2... Not sure why I said that but you know what I meant!

If the ecu wire to the tstat was disconnected or not working it would show up as a dtc in dsmlink correct?

The wire isn't in the best condition but its connected and seems to be working.

I just bought a new 02 sensor and will try that when it comes in. The current sensor could just be going bad...

JCorbo25

Yes, it looks like a bad o2 sensor.

raptorWagon

Not sure what it would see in link (no experience) but normally if the ECU temp sensor is unplugged the engine won't even start.

Captn

I have a wideband, its just not wired to the ecu yet. In the 02 simulation the wideband sensor is in place of the stock sensor correct?

Captn

So I did the narrowband sim... Same thing, but my wideband is pegged at 19.0 at idle, it will change when I drive but not at idle no matter what I do.... I had a hard time getting it into closed loop too.

No clue whats going on.

Captn

I really have no clue whats going on I feel like I am minutes from a blown motor.... If anyone has something to add please do.

ade

i just went through the same issue, and believe its due to open loop thresholds settings in dsmlink. i see the o2 cycle when airflow and rpm climb. i would try lowering them in increments till u see a change in o2 behavior.

before this i would fix your vac and boost leaks, i see idle surge roaming about and since you're running a maf that's a good place to start. you need all airflow accounted for or you'll be wasting time.

Last edited:

Captn

Thanks for the help. I will look into everything and make sure I get it right, got a new o2 today as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned