The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP68HTA V3

ggsxkid

Looks like FP has revised the 68hta once again. I originally picked up a V2 recently to run on my current vr4. I soon got bummed out reading on dsmtuners about the around 4k full boost part of that turbo. But now FP has this v3 that comes with what I assume is a zona rotor turbine wheel according to all the other info on ther website and the new zona rotor options. Apparently it's the quickest spooling dsm turbo they've ever made along with great response. I'm curious if it's maybe worth sending my V2 in to have them swap out for this new turbine to hopefully get some quicker spool out of it??
https://forcedperformance.shop/products/dsm-6851s-aka-68hta-v3

Ludachris

Administrator
I'm curious if it's maybe worth
The infamous unanswerable question everyone tends to ask, that only they themselves can answer. Hell yeah it's worth it!!! But I always say that when it's someone else's money.

I know I was always looking for the best spooling option I could find, but the use case for me was optimizing the performance for the road course. If it was just for the street I'd probably be a little less worried about spool. I'd just want to make sure I could actually enjoy the powerband and spool as much as possible for my driving habits. Few tend to focus on how they'll actually use their car when selecting a turbo. They get too enamored with the potential power output.

You'll have to ask yourself if you really feel you're missing out on the slightly faster spool THAT MUCH that you'd be grinning constantly with the new rebuilt turbo they send you. Only you can answer that. If you do it, I want to see some photos of it all here, that's for damn sure!

CutlassJim

I've been on an E316G forever and have been really contemplating something larger. If they still made something like the FP 3052 that would be my easy choice. I don't want "huge" power so the component jump to T3 doesn't seem worth it but the new aero and response on all the new gen turbo's is so enticing.

EDIT: OK actually clicked the link. That will be my next turbo this season probably. I paid $475 for my E3 years ago so the price stings a little but you can't argue with the results and not having to change anything else.

ggsxkid

The infamous unanswerable question everyone tends to ask, that only they themselves can answer. Hell yeah it's worth it!!! But I always say that when it's someone else's money.

I know I was always looking for the best spooling option I could find, but the use case for me was optimizing the performance for the road course. If it was just for the street I'd probably be a little less worried about spool. I'd just want to make sure I could actually enjoy the powerband and spool as much as possible for my driving habits. Few tend to focus on how they'll actually use their car when selecting a turbo. They get too enamored with the potential power output.

You'll have to ask yourself if you really feel you're missing out on the slightly faster spool THAT MUCH that you'd be grinning constantly with the new rebuilt turbo they send you. Only you can answer that. If you do it, I want to see some photos of it all here, that's for damn sure!
Yeah the "purpose" of the car is a little in the air. It will mainly be just a weekend street/around town car, car meets stuff like that. As far as power output, I'm not shooting for the moon as I'm going to be stock long block and I want to stay pump gas. Therefore I know I won't be pushing full potential of the turbo itself. Mainly I just want the even bigger unanswerable question. I want stock style turbo, stock like spool, and a power band that doesn't fall off at the top. Crazy talk I know... :3deek3:

ggsxkid

I don't want "huge" power so the component jump to T3 doesn't seem worth it but the new aero and response on all the new gen turbo's is so enticing.
Agreed. I don't want to make the jump either. But when you get the response of an e316g with higher lb/min out of those new g series garrets... It seems very enticing!

Ludachris

Administrator
I want stock style turbo, stock like spool, and a power band that doesn't fall off at the top. Crazy talk I know... :3deek3:
:) I know what you mean. I remember changing out my intake manifold really changed the powerband (Forrester then a Magnus "street"). That and cams. Of course, that all has to be factored together with the turbo's efficiency range, but I was too young to think about pesky details like that back then :D

I was going to check your mod list but you haven't created a vehicle profile for your car yet...

CutlassJim

I was going to say the same thing.

My buddy had a 90 Eclipse with 264 cams, an ACT 2100, and a 2.5" turbo-back exhaust at 16-17 psi and that thing ripped and pulled great to redline. Even with the 14B.

My 272, 2G head, Evo III IM also rips all the way to 8k rpm too though. I'm just wondering how much drive pressure I've got up there and how much more power would be on the table with a more efficient turbine.

I just got a new job and I'm legit using some of my sign on bonus for that turbo.

ggsxkid

I was going to check your mod list but you haven't created a vehicle profile for your car yet...
Yeah I'll definitely look into making it. Sad thing is the car is currently stock and most of the mods are on shelves right now. I just picked this current vr4 up 6 months ago. Sold my original one back in '12. I did however start mounting a full 3" cm performance exhaust on it today though! :d:

ggsxkid

I was going to say the same thing.

My buddy had a 90 Eclipse with 264 cams, an ACT 2100, and a 2.5" turbo-back exhaust at 16-17 psi and that thing ripped and pulled great to redline. Even with the 14B.

My 272, 2G head, Evo III IM also rips all the way to 8k rpm too though. I'm just wondering how much drive pressure I've got up there and how much more power would be on the table with a more efficient turbine.

I just got a new job and I'm legit using some of my sign on bonus for that turbo.
Oh I'm sure it would at least hold higher boost levels when you get up to 8k vs the evo 3. Especially if your pushing up into the 25psi+ area?

But at the risk of sounding like a keyboard warrior I've never personally driven any of the three previous setups I've had. First was a full Evo 3 setup - td05 20g - FP td06 18g. I never had the car together long enough to have it tuned between all the setups. And this was all back in the day from like '06-'11.

ggsxkid

Also I called today and found out that upgrading the V2 is out of the question. The v3 and V2 are completely different on the hot sides (makes sense). Upgrading a V2 just plain wouldn't be cost effective according to them. Which is why they don't offer it.

TravVR4

Good info thanks, I have (what i believe is) a V2an HT68 on the shelf i need to break out one of these days. When did they change the versions? anybody know?

ggsxkid

As far as I know within the last month or so. I also called them and asked them whether or not the reason they tried this new setup was for the poor spool of the V2. They said it's exactly what they were trying to do. Quick spool like an Evo 3 but more steam up top in the rpm range.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts