The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FP 68HTA

SleepinGVR4

Forced Performance 68HTA

I'm thinking about trying one out. FP hates it when people email them about a specific turbo, I've been kinda waiting to see if someone from FP responds to a post made on Tuners.

I wonder why they gave up on the TD06SL2 turbine wheel on the 18G?

Thoughts?

curtis

What do you want to do Street race quick spool no top end, play toy not looking for big numbers, Hook to Hill's cars and pull them faster than they can go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Answer first and I'll yell back.

SleepinGVR4

I'll be the first to say I'm not that well informed on the flow dynamics of a turbocharger. You think the TD05H turbine section will hold it back?

I just need a new turbo and saw this.

Polish

That has to be pretty new, I drool around FP's site pretty often and I've never seen that before.

However I want to see some track times or dyno numbers or something. I to wonder why they went back to the old TD05h turbine wheel...

curtis

Here's my two cents on turbo seclection. I went 14b to Garrett standard wheel to a larger Garrett stage 3 wheel then different turbine housings. Then went to a schwitzer that was in the 65 range for flow with a huge turbine wheel in a bullseye housing. Bigger turbines might be a little slower to spool up but when there spooled and pulling they pull. Lots of people hate on Bullseye, I've never had a problem with there stuff, most of the haters have never even owned one and the mis info on the web is abundant. I sold mine because it was more or less new and after sitting on the shelf for two years the warranty was dead from sitting so I sold it for what I had in it. I came upon the VGT and always wanted to try one, if it doesn't work I'll buy a s366 or larger from bullseye as a replacement.

Now as for differences in the smaller mitsubishi's compared to the schwitzer/mid framed Garretts.
Smaller turbos spin up faster but don't pull as hard up top
smaller turbos with little turbine wheels and then the large 20g 25g compressor wheels are hard to balance because of the mass differences.

Now a real world test of the two.
One night a few weeks before I tore the car down I ran to Auto Zone and was in the parking lot talking to the manager, I go to pull out and across the road (4 lane with center lane) sat a dsm with a big 16g front mount etc normal 16g car mods done to it. He just sat with his high beams blinding me, when I hit my right signal and began to move and rotate the car out of the parking lot he flogged it and was moving out. When he hit the center lane he hit second gear spun from trash in the center and went to the inside lane. I popped the car off the rev limiter and smoked the tires
in first and second when I hit 3rd was 4 car lengths in front and walking away and lifted. He did a ricer fly by and hit his hazards like he broke it off in me. Next red light I proved it to him he didn't then harassed him for a few miles and went home. Later found out the car was running on 25psi with meth and was built a little bit more than I thought. I was on 18psi no meth. and pump gas even after full boost pulls in 3rd and 4th I could stiop the car and both sides of the front mount were cold because I wasn't even spinning the turbo in the eff zone. On 26psi from a 3rd to second drop The car would change lanes while cycling all 4 tires.

Larger turbos flow more mass and since the eff. isn't until higher boost the air temps are lower and more forgiving on everything, less heat means more horses, less heat soak etc. Plus larger turbos can be run at lower boost pressures and when you need more you can turn them up. With smaller frame units the range you can dial into is smaller but not so hazardous on driveline parts. Big turbos are like crack.

Now for the 16G advocates out there...I'm NOT dogging on a 16G I know people have made up in the 500 range with them but that was with bumped compression and big boost. At normal settings they run good and spool fast and you don't have to worry as much about scattering parts. I just like the turbos in the 60 to 70 pound range. Turbos like the s375 and GT40's are for big budgets and people that live to fix parts thats not me. If it was I'd be running a large frame liek a HX-52 or a GT47R.

BluFalcon

I'll probably have one of these on my GVR4 sometime in November when I get back into the country. Looks like a promising turbo for the folks who want more flow with the same footprint as a stocker.

insane92

Quoting Polish:

However I want to see some track times or dyno numbers or something. I to wonder why they went back to the old TD05h turbine wheel...

FP is sending one out to Curt Brown this week. Soon we shall see what this little beast is capable of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boostedinaz

Unless you are compeating a some sort of stock appearing class I can't say I would spend almost a grand on that turbo.

4thStroke

Its a nice stepping stone for those who want more performance than the 16G and dont have $2500+ to run a full FP HTA setup.

Assuming it performs as FP promises.

Should be exciting to see what FP can really get out of this little guy.

NateCrisman

It's a wicked expensive "stepping stone", considering there are bolt on options that would eat it alive in power output for less price. There are tons of middle ground turbos availabe inbetween the $500 evo3 16g and $2500 FP HTA stuff that are both better performing and less expensive

I agree with above, this turbo really is a logical choice for someone dead set on a j-pipe style compressor housing. Stock appearing class ultimate it may be, but a 50 trim t3t4 seems a far more efficient use of $1100 when you run out of 16g potential.

4thStroke

I guess for me, I wont use anything but an MHI or Garrett turbo. There are many options out there, but Im not forking out money on a BEP or Precision product. Id rather pay a little more for a Garrett altogether.

Thats just me.

loser3000

We will see how this little guy does. I wanted a stock appearing turbo so I went and got it. I'll try and give a update after it comes in and gets put in the car.

NateCrisman

Quoting 4thStroke:
I guess for me, I wont use anything but an MHI or Garrett turbo. There are many options out there, but Im not forking out money on a BEP or Precision product. Id rather pay a little more for a Garrett altogether.

Thats just me.

when did generic t3t4's stop being Garret? I think gt30's are in the same price range as this thing too, just not FP brand.

4thStroke

I figured you were leaning towards the BEP and Precision stuff.

I didnt realize the GT30s were less than a grand.

NateCrisman

Lets put it this way:
I pulled a reman T3T4 50trim off Ebay for $350 direct from precision. generic turbo, pretty much brand new.
T3 manifolds can be had for less than a couple hundred bucks. Tial gates and nice o2 housings aren't THAT hard to find/make.

I'd totally go with a straight T3 setup before doing a BEP or PTE bolt in turbine housing. But on the flip side, I'd do a $600 PTE SCM5031 before I laid down $1000 for FP-wonder-16g.
Even better a used t3t4 for half that price. I just have a hard time seeing this turbo being worth $925 when a 16g is $499: it's not 40% better nor will it outperform the lowly 50trim t3t4 costing half the price.

That's just the way I think, in which I can't justify spending big bucks on brand name parts for sake of brand name when there are less expensive options that work just as well in my experience.

I put DSMlink and FP turbo's in the same boat.

Now, if your trying to win Stock Appearing class, this might be "must have". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

CutlassJim

I'm a huge 16G/bolt on turbo fan but a 50 trim would be my 2.0 street turbo of choice if I were going through all the trouble of changing my whole turbo set-up.

loser3000

For me, I really wanted to keep the spool similar to a 16g since my cars are autos. I have a PTE5031 that I could of put on, but I didn't want to lose anything on the 0-60ft. To buy 16g and keep the spool and now gain some additional airflow its all worth it. If it was a stick car and it wasn't a sleeper, I would of never bought it.

thecman02

As far as I'm concerned that turbo just replaced the Sleeper 16G.

Dialcaliper

I was wondering when they'd come out with a DSM version of that. That's the compressor wheel they've been selling for a while for Subarus. I believe it's a mirror image of the 68mm wheel that was developed for the Evo FP White. It's probably being sold with a TD05H since they're trying to market it as a quick spooling turbo (and that's how it was sold for Subarus - just toss a DSM compressor and exhaust housing on the same CHRA). They could probably custom build one with a 6SL2 wheel, but it'd be more expensive than a 20G since they can interchange the TD05H version between Subaru and DSM units. Also, the 16G compressor housing has to be ported out a bit.

Incidentally, the markings on the compressor housing of the turbo on the FP website are that of an old-school "Big" 16G (The VR-4 RS Variety). New life to old inventory that's getting dusty?

The few reports I've seen from the Subaru crowd are that it is pretty good - spoolup almost as good as an 18G turbo, with flow that's comparable to a 20G (47 lbs/min is FP Green/50-trim territory - in a factory Evo 3 turbo housing). Granted, any turbo is only as good as the rest of the setup supporting it.

That said, I'm guessing this wheel is probably somewhat limited by the small turbine, but it should give pretty good results when bolted on to a 2.0 L street engine.

Here is a comparison with some Subaru engines. The consensus seems to be that it's pretty comparable to a TD05-20G for a bit less money, both from the turbo itself, and fact that the housing is almost direct-fit and more compact.

Last edited:

loser3000

I got the turbo on and I love it! With my gsx being an auto with a 14b it was always alittle sluggish off the line and through the intercetion, but not anymore. The spool and power it makes down low is awesome! Right now, I left it all stock including the stock maf, sidemount, took off the bcs, and ran the hose from the compressor elbow directly to the wastegate. Its not even boost creeping at stock boost and the butt dyno totally approves of the difference. Maybe by next week I'll convert it to speed density, put the meth and bigger injectors in and see what this turbo really does. I already think this was worth the price with it now not being a total dog off the line.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts