The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Forum member in Super Street readers' rides

fuel

^^ I guess technically by the US release date that would be true? The MotorWeek 91 video for the GVR-4 says something along the lines of how "Mitsubishi have applied the VR-4 treatment of the 3000GT to their every-day Galant".

raptorWagon

That sounds more like they meant it towards the 7th gens and later, but also I could see that with the 2nd generation GVR4s? not our generation GVR4s. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

MotorWeek (a US video magazine) test drove the 3000GT VR-4 ahead of the Galant VR-4. Seeing how the US only got ONE generation of VR-4, and that the video was titled 'MotorWeek '91' I highly doubt they were talking about the JDM only 7G or 8G Galant VR-4s.

Yes the E39A Galant VR-4 came a long time before the 3000GT/GTO (1987 vs 1990) in the Japanese market, however for the US and Australian markets (ie the only two markets outside of Japan to even get the Galant VR-4 as a locally available model) the Galant VR-4 was released after the 3000GT VR-4.

raptorWagon

ah gotcha, well the person that talked to me didn't seem the type to know any of that, he talked like the GTO started the whole "VR4" line.

GSX_TC

that why i dont talk much around those kind of guys during those cars meets, there always someone who claims to know it all Lol

mitsuturbo

Quoting fuel:
MotorWeek (a US video magazine) test drove the 3000GT VR-4 ahead of the Galant VR-4. Seeing how the US only got ONE generation of VR-4, and that the video was titled 'MotorWeek '91' I highly doubt they were talking about the JDM only 7G or 8G Galant VR-4s.

Yes the E39A Galant VR-4 came a long time before the 3000GT/GTO (1987 vs 1990) in the Japanese market, however for the US and Australian markets (ie the only two markets outside of Japan to even get the Galant VR-4 as a locally available model) the Galant VR-4 was released after the 3000GT VR-4.

I believe Malaysia also got some of the old 87-88 GVR4s. Didn't they?

Also, 7g and 8g VR4s were not JDM only. Germany, Britain, and other european countries got them as well. Some have even turned up here on the forum. One of which is a 7th gen with all sorts of fancy gadgetry stuck in the trunk/boot. Last i read, this was suspected to be some sort of test mule.

fuel

^^ I am unsure about Malaysia they definitely got the N/A models but I have a feeling their VR-4s are imported. UAE also got US spec models.

As for the 7th gen VR-4 I believe it was available only in Japan, the one which turned up here in some European country (can't remember where, perhaps Bulgaria?) was a Japanese import given that it was RHD and his other 7G Galant was LHD. You may not realise this but a huge portion of the cars made for the Japanese market end up getting exported to other countries as used cars as early as a few months into their lives. New Zealand, Russia and the UK are amongst the highest importers of used vehicles from Japan.

For the 8G VR-4 they were sold outside of Japan but I believe available in RHD only. New Zealand were selling them locally from 1998 to 2003 but they were essentially clones of the Japanese spec models and of course were built in Japan and then shipped to NZ. Only a handful of 8G VR-4s were sold in UK through RalliArt, however most of them on their roads are used imports from Japan. Australia definitely didn't sell the 8G VR-4 let alone any 8G whatsoever given how unpopular the 7G ended up being (seriously you barely see any Galants of any description on Australia's roads which is a stark contrast to New Zealand). Germany and other LHD European countries had their domestic models only which did not include the VR-4.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

dam phillip is the most knowledgable person when it comes to Galant History

raptorWagon

There's just a bunch of GA-GD Galants roaming around Australia, NZ is hiding Galant GTOs. I wish I could just go into the junkyard and see an occasional GC/GD Galant hanging out ready for some parts picking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

'73 Galant GTO
'74 Galant GTO GS

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts